A Clean Break
While it’s virtually impossible to have an easy break-up, there are ways to be less of a bitch and make it easier on both of you. If you’re sure you definitely want out, chances are that he has noticed. Here are some guidelines to keep in mind when you finally decide to go through with the inevitable:
1) Be respectful and considerate of his feelings.
2) Break up in person, in a neutral, private location.
3) Offer an explanation. Let him speak his mind, but be firm in your decision.
4) Make sure he knows that you are upset things didn’t work out, and that it’s hard on you too.
5) Expect an emotional reaction. Be nice, but don’t immediately try to be friends. This will only confuse and eventually hurt him more.
1) Drag your feet. It takes courage to make the break, but if you know you’re not happy, it’s best to get it over with.
2) End it right before he has an exam or important committment. While there’s no good time to deliver the news, there are better times.
3) Be spineless by doing it in an e-mail. It’s worse to receive the news than to deliver it.
4) Play the blame game. Avoid pin-pointing one event or action.
5) Don’t let it carry on. Make sure you have something to do afterwards to keep your mind off things.
6) Say you’ve met someone else!