Do It Yourself Tuesdays: Blair-ify Your Headbands!
The adorned headband is just as much a central character on Gossip Girl as our BFFs Serena and Blair. It signifies power and prestige and everything Blair Waldorf stands for.
And it’s also really, really cute!
Unfortunately, even if you do fall head over heels for one of those extravagant and fabulous headpieces, you most likely cannot afford the $200+ that Blair lays out for each of her Queen Bee crowns. So, here I am to the rescue with a couple options for Blair-ifying your headwear!
What You’ll Need:
1. A cheap plastic headband. Thick or thin, the choice is yours, but don’t spend a lot of money on it. That takes the point out of doing it yourself, now doesn’t it.
2. 1 yard each of ¾ inch ribbon and 1-3 inch ribbon. The thinner ribbon is for wrapping the headband, and the thicker is for the Blair Waldorf-esque bow. The color and pattern choice is all yours, so choose wisely!
3. Hot glue gun or fabric glue.
Blair It Up!
1. Glue the thinner ribbon to the inside of the end of the headband, angling it slightly upwards as you will be wrapping the headband all the way around. Double wrap the end (a little cushion behind those ears), gluing the underside as you go.
2. Keep wrapping, gluing on the underside of every other wrap. If things start to go haywire, you might want to use a tiny bit of glue on the outside as well. But as my mother always says, less is more. You don’t want the outside of your headband looking like a 2nd grade art-project.
3. Once you arrive at the other end, double wrap again, glue the end of the ribbon to the underside and cut off the excess.
4. Now for the ultra-chic bow. Tie your bow with the thicker ribbon. But tie it off the headband and very loosely.
Slide the bow onto your headband through the very back loop and pick the perfect spot for it to rest.
5. Once you believe you have truly channeled your inner Blair, pull the bow tight and secure it in place with glue underneath the loops on either side.
6. Cut off the excess and hit the town, searching for your perfect Chuck Bass.
And for those of you who simply can’t handle hot glue guns and other such crafty tools, here is an even easier way to mimic the one and only Blair Waldorf:
What You Need:
1 piece of matte fabric (NOT silky), about 1.4 yards long and 6 inches wide
1. Now this headband is more about tying than crafting. You’re going to start by lying the fabric out and folding it width-wise (making it 3 inches wide instead of 6).
2. Now place the fabric behind your head, so the middle is sitting at the nape of your neck and you’re holding the two ends out. Bring the ends up to the top of your head and tie them in a loose knot (just like Blair’s). Now bring the ends down again to the nape of your neck and tie them in a discrete knot. Voila!
This one may take a bit of practice, but is a great way to experiment with fabric and texture! And if it doesn’t stay put, just bobby pin that sucker to your head.
[Headband photos courtesy of ilyqtalksclothes.com]