When the weather outside is frightful, there’s only one that warms me up. And it’s not a Snuggie. It’s food. Warm, gooey, delicious comfort food, to be exact. And there’s nothing warmer, gooier, deliciousier than Cheeseburger Casserole. It will warm you up from the inside out after a long day of classes (it’s SO easy to make and can last you all week!), or is the perfect dish for girls night in when it’s 12 below zero and even the mere thought of putting on a cami and going to a party makes your teeth chatter.
1 lb ground beef
½ cup shredded cheese
1 small onion, chopped
4 servings instant potatoes
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
¼ cup butter (at room temp)
1 cup Bisquick
2 TBS boiling water
1. Mix your Bisquick and butter together in a bowl. Add the water and stir, stir, stir until you get a doughy consistency. (Use those muscles/burn some calories before you chow down!)
2. Line the bottom and the sides of a 9-inch pie pan (or square dish!) with your dough. Put it in the refrigerator while you get your filling ready.
3. Brown the ground beef (breaking it up as you go) in a frying pan until meat is thoroughly cooked. Make your instant mashed potatoes in another bowl, then add the cooked meat to them. Chop your onion and add that as well, along with the shredded cheese, salt, and pepper. Mix.
4. Add your filling into the pan lined with the crust.
5. Bake at 350 degrees until the cheese is melted and the crust is golden brown. (This can be as short as 5 minutes, which is OK because the meat is already cooked!)
6. Serve with a side of steamed veggies and you’ve got a complete and filling meal.
Note: If you want a lid (and more comfort goodness) on your casserole, double the crust recipe and spread the remaining half over the top before baking.
Need to cut back on the dining out to save some money? Can’t bear to step outside to pick up take-out? Get more awesome and yummy recipes right here!