When we think of social media sites, we think of one thing: Facebook. It’s where we post out status updates, where we post our pictures, and where we have obnoxiously long, unnecessary commenting wars with our BFFs. It’s the perfect way to stay in touch, and the perfect way to procrastinate. In our eyes, it’s perfect. (Despite its many, many issues with privacy settings.)
But I’ve got news for you ladies. Facebook is not the only social media site out there. And, no, I’m not just talking about MySpace of Friendster, those sites you haven’t visited since junior high. I’m talking about up and coming, entertaining, totally worth your time, social media sites. These are my top five picks.
1. Twitter. Every girl should be on Twitter. And you don’t even have to Tweet to make it worth your while; you just have to follow. Follow who? Anyone from Charlie Sheen to the New York Times to College Candy! Your home page is constantly updated with little 140 character bits of goodness. From links to the hottest articles to what your favorite celeb ate for breakfast, Twitter has it all. With instantaneous updates!
2. LinkedIn. LinkedIn is like Facebook for adults. Except instead of friends, you have connections. Instead of listing your favorite movies, you list your skills. And your ‘about me’ section sounds more like a cover letter than it does an ad in the personals. But no, in all seriousness, LinkedIn is a great tool for networking. It allows you to create a profile that you want your employers to see, and gives you a way to keep track of all of all the people you know. It’s not only an online resume, it’s also a great way of directing a potential employer’s attention away from an old WebShots album that pops up when when you Google your name.
3. Tumblr. I’m not sure what the exact purpose of Tumblr is, but I know that my dashboard is constantly updated with lots and lots of pretty pictures which I often like to “reblog” so they show up on my profile as well. It’s like a more aesthetically pleasing Twitter, with blogs that range from PrettyFoods to PrettyBooks to ShoeLust to FYeahThingsGirlsLove, a personal favorite of mine. Give it a try. You’ll be addicted in no time.
4. BlogLovin. This is a new find of mine, but I’m already loving it. BlogLovin allows you to follow all your favorite websites on their website. Then, when you log in, it shows you all the updates you probably would have missed otherwise. It’s perfect for the girl who checks more blogs than she can keep track of, and the girl who likes being the first among her friends to share things before they go viral.
5. StumbleUpon. This appropriately named social media site presents you with random articles, videos, and pictures from a vast array of websites based on your personal preferences. They use a ‘like’ and ‘dislike’ rating system to determine the quality of their websites, and liking a website link automatically shares that website with other like-minded individuals. They call it “people driven technology.” I call it genius.
Just when I thought I’d finally broken free of my internet surfing obsession….