Did you know that in addition to being Asparagus Month and National BBQ Month, May is also National Masturbation Month? Yes, there is an entire month dedicated to doing the act solo (potentially with BBQ sauce and asparagus spears). National Masturbation Month was started by Good Vibrations (a sex store) in 1995 as a way to protest the firing of U.S. Surgeon General Jocelyn Elders, who had suggested that masturbation be part of sex education.
It’s always National Masturbation Month in my world, but to celebrate the actual month,
I’m going to go into my room and lock the door, I thought I’d share a few fun facts about spanking the monkey with you.
So let’s get down and dirty:
- 89% of women admit to masturbating.
– 4 out of 10 women prefer masturbation over sex.
- Studies suggest masturbation may be good for you.Cervical infections might be reduced with frequent personal stimulation. Also, masturbation has been proven to be a great form of stress relief, a mood booster, a natural sleep sedative, a chronic pain reliever (like those debilitating cramps) and a natural energy booster (take that, Red Bull!).
– Female porcupines have been witnessed using wooden sticks to masturbate.
– 48% of women masturbate once a week and 22% masturbate daily.
– 53% of women and 17% of men use vibrators to masturbate.
– Contrary to popular belief, vibrators do not desensitize you, no matter how often you use them.
– At this very moment, 797,151 Americans are masturbating. That’s more people than the entire population of Alaska
– Who holds the World Record for masturbating the longest? Masanobu Sato who lasted 9 hours and 58 minutes in San Francisco’s 2009 Maturbate-a-thon. (Yes, that’s a real thing and yes, that’s totally absurd.)
Even in 2011, masturbation is still one those dirty little secrets most people tuck away into their closets (behind that ugly cat sweater their grandmother bought them for Christmas) but it shouldn’t be! Now, I’m not telling you to go all Eve Ensler and proclaim how much you love your woman self all day, but I am saying that you shouldn’t be embarrassed of having a little solo fun. Or a lot of solo fun.
Especially for such an important national holiday.