One Month Challenge: Eating Clean, Week 3
Well, another week has come and gone – I can honestly say that I have done my best to stay away from fried foods, microwaveable meals, simple carbs and all of those things that critics claim are causing America to be fat.
…And what have I discovered?
1. Most of the stuff that I do like is in fact healthy! Salmon and Avocado are a girl’s best friends – especially when combined in a yummy sushi roll (brown rice of course!).
2. I feel more in control! Being forced to think about what I am putting in my mouth hasn’t stopped me from eating but it has made me more conscious of what I am choosing to put into my body.
3. Eating out can be scary! Especially if you start to pay attention not only to portion sizes but also the sheer fat and grease that makes its way onto your plate – even if you think that it’s the healthier option. Ordering can be a minefield!
4. Sometimes all you really want is a cheesy slice of pizza! And that is no reason to be ashamed – or deny yourself a treat once in awhile.
5. Not everyone is going to be as excited about your health-kick as you are. Now more than ever, it is clear to me how complicated one’s relationship with food can really be. Some people engage with food as though each meal is passionate encounter with a love and for some it is merely the fuel that gets you from point A to point B. Some people are afraid of food and events that revolve around eating. I think for the majority of us, myself included, it is a combination of all of these things.
So what have I been eating? Well, here is a list of my trusty favorites:
- Avocadoes (I cannot stress this enough – yay Omega 3s!)
- Olive Oil
- Whole-wheat pasta
- Kefir – a Greek yogurt/drink that is proven to help with digestion among other things
- Small baked potatoes (Russett & sweet potatoes)
These foods have definitely been keeping my energy up and my eating clean! Know of any other great foods that would be in keeping with this challenge?