YOLO: You Only Live Once are I guess the words that Drake lives by according to his song “The Motto.” Now, everyone is saying YOLO as much as possible. I’m guilty of it. I’ve done some questionable things in the past few weeks because YOLO, right? It’s a good message: do what you can because you in fact do only live once. But there are times when YOLO is an acceptable reason for doing something and times when it isn’t. Reasons you should use YOLO include doing that other shot, eating another piece of cake, texting your crush, having sex in the library before you graduate, and giving your number to that guy at the bar.
I’ve been living under the YOLO mantra for the past few weeks, and I’ve had a lot of fun. For instance, I jumped off a 25-foot rock at the lake this weekend. It was awesome. I’ve also gotten into a bit of trouble because of it. So here are reasons you shouldn’t use YOLO as an excuse to do something:
1. Drinking and driving: never acceptable, YOLO or not.
2. Blackout texting your ex: this causes more drama than necessary. Plus you can’t respond to “Why are you texting me?” with “YOLO” and appear sane. Trust me.
3. Chugging tequila: not worth it.
4. Not doing your homework: letting your grades suffer for the sake of YOLO is stupid. Go to class, do your homework, and save the YOLO-ing for when you’re academic responsibilities are taken care of.
5. Not showering: this should be a priority all the time. Not showering doesn’t benefit you or anyone around you.
6. Getting YOLO tattooed on you: it really won’t make you cool. (Here’s looking at you Zac Efron)
7. Doing something that could get you arrested: I promise your parents don’t want YOLO as a reason why they have to bail you out of jail.
Seriously life is short, and we should fill it with as many opportunities as we can. We don’t want to make it any shorter because you YOLOed yourself into something stupid. Don’t give up on your dreams, and do things that make you happy. But use your brain when doing so.
What have you used YOLO as an excuse for? Are you using YOLO to do things you normally wouldn’t?
Caitlin is a senior at the University of Alabama who has an obsession with cupcakes, coffee, and Harry Potter. She always has random fun facts on reserve and aspires to be a professional blogger, social media bug, and/or James Franco’s assistant. Follow her fabulous life @caitlincorsetti. You’re welcome!