Roasted Butternut Squash and Steak Salad [Intro to Cooking]
A refreshing and nutritious way to ease into fall. Buttery bib lettuce topped with sweet butternut squash, tangy goat’s milk cheese, all topped with a warm bacon vinaigrette.
- 1 butternut squash
- flank steak
- mixed greens or bib lettuce
- 1 c. goat’s cheese
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
Cook time: 1 hour
- After slicing squash in half, lay flesh side up in a roasting pan. drizzle lightly with olive oil, maple syrup, salt and pepper.
- Roast, uncovered, in a 375 F oven for 45 minutes.
- While the squash is cooking, wash and dry lettuce thoroughly. arrange in serving bowl.
- Prepare a marinade of garlic powder, lemon juice, cayenne pepper, olive oil, and salt. Set the steak to marinate in a covered bowl.
- When squash is finished, remove the skins and roughly dice the flesh. Place on top of the lettuce, and top with crumbled goat’s cheese.
- Sear steak in a very lightly oiled skillet over high heat. Steak should cook for about 2 minutes on each side, then place under the broiler for about 3 minutes. Remove steak from heat. Allow the steak to rest for about 2 minutes, then slice against the grain.
- Top the salad with steak and dressing. Serve immediately.
- 3 tbsp bacon renderings
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
Heat in a microwaveable dish for about 30 seconds, mix thoroughly.