Fall made its dramatic entrance this week with hurricanes, cold fronts and terribly dreary rains (is there anything more depressing than fall rain?). There is no better time of year to enjoy soups, and this one will leave you warmed and satisfied. This curried squash soup would serve as the perfect side to a fall salad but also has the flavor to stand on its own.
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 3 medium onions, peeled and cubed
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 can chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 c. cream
- 1 1/2 tbsp. curry powder
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. allspice
- 2 tbsp. garlic
- 2 oz. walnuts pieces
- 1 c. plain Greek yogurt
- salt and pepper
Cooking Time: 1 1/2 hours
Yields: 10 servings
- Heat butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions and 1 tsp of salt. Cook until caramelized or until translucent and browned in appearance.
- Add cubed butternut squash, curry, allspice, coriander, and garlic to the onions and continue to cook until the squash is soft enough to mash with a fork.
- Add 1 c. of stock and 1 c. of cream and puree (using food processor or an immersion blender). Continue to add stock a little at a time, pureeing as you go, until the soup has reached your desired consistency.
- After the soup has reached the perfect consistency, return to low heat, and heat through, stirring consistently.
- Top with a dollop of plain Greek yogurt and sprinkle with walnut pieces. Serve immediately.
- This dish can very easily be made as a vegetarian or vegan option. Replace the butter with your oil of choice, replace the cream with soy milk or soy cream, and replace the chicken stock with vegetable stock.
- I prefer my dishes spicy, so I tossed in 2 tbsp. of curry. If you prefer your dishes on the milder side, keep to around 1 tbsp.
- Vegetable peelers are the easiest way to peel the squash.
- If you have not invested in an immersion blender, do so! Salsa, pureed soups, baking, smoothies, milkshakes and vinaigrettes are all wonderful applications for what is essentially a hand-held blender. Most come with a whisk attachment, as well.