5 Reasons You Should Be A CC Spring Intern
Everyone says that in order to get a job in the “real world” you need to have experience. As for being a writer or journalist goes, the best experience for us crazy folks would be an editorial internship. Most internships are scary. I always kind of pictured them like The Devil Wears Prada and that my hardest duty would be getting some Meryl Streep-y boss coffee every day and hating myself. But I would sigh, cry inside and suck it up because it looks good on a resume and it beats having a job that didn’t actually have something to do with my desired field.
The good news is, not all internships are awful. In fact there are some pretty cool ones out there. I got really lucky and my first big girl internship was at CollegeCandy. It was marvelous, and you should do it too. Here are the five reasons why you should be a CC Spring Intern:
1. You can totes be anonymous: One of my duties as a CollegeCandy intern is to tweet from our special intern handle (@cc_intern). Sometimes I had one too many drinks and need to rant about my hangover, sometimes I wonder why LC didn’t go to Paris. Sometimes I just want to mope around. I can do all of these things on my regular handle, of course, but it’s so much more satisfying to do it anonymously.
2. You don’t have to live in NYC: I live in Nebraska. If you don’t know where that is, it’s literally right in the middle of the country. It’s really hard to be an intern in NYC if you live in Nebraska, and really have no way of sustaining life in NYC because you don’t have a “real job.” Well CollegeCandy solves that problem. I literally do my job from home, the union at my campus, the local Starbucks – whatever my little heart desires. They do an AWESOME job of making me feel a part of a team, even if I can’t be in the office every day… or…ever.
3. Your boss is awesome: They didn’t even tell me to say that! Alex and the other editors have always made me feel like I was doing a good job, and if I needed to fix something they asked me in a way that didn’t insult my intelligence. They are aware of a college girl’s busy schedule and were always more than accommodating if I needed to switch some stuff around for an exam or whatever. Plus they always made me smile! Aww.
4. You can write about anything! This was my favorite part of interning at CC. After a conversation with Editor Alex (which is her official name, by the way) I confessed in detail my obsession with Friends. That sparked a post I’ve been working on about my obsession with the show. Another conversation ended up in my post “11 Style Tips From My Middle School Self.” I AM SO LUCKY to write about whatever my heart desires. Sex, style, a quirky YouTube video, a Justin Bieber Sex Doll, whatever! It’s up to you, which is pretty dang cool.
5. You’ll get amazing opportunities: A local radio station happened across one of my articles and now I’m like totes famous in the state of Nebraska. Actually, it’s prompted a few mentions on that radio station, which is pretty cool. Also the editors are more than happy to give you recommendations and all that. Interning at CC totally jazzes up your resume and I have a bunch of really awesome clips to hand out to future employers. It’s bomb.com, yo.
So, I mean it sounds too good to be true, right?
Good news is, it’s not. SO APPLY HERE. YOLO.
Molly is a senior Journalism/English/Broadcasting student at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. She’s really awkward but she loves English Bulldogs, and isn’t very good at small talk. Follow her on twitter @gwacamolly.