Lena Dunham Explains The Whole Hannah Dating A Black Republican Thing [Sugar Binge]
Lena Dunham was interviewed in NY Mag’s Vulture. She discusses her love of Drake, Taylor Swift and her rapper boyfriend from summer camp. She also discusses how Donald Glover was a strategic part of the narrative to show how Girls is in dialogue with her fans and critics. I think that’s fine and fair. After all, the point of criticism (and I’ve thrown plenty her way) is to incite discussion but also change. If the show can reconcile its issues with race, class and identity then more power to it.
Here is an excerpt from the interview:
“Which is pretty much a summary of every single thing that people complained about in season one. How conscious was that?
We always wanted to work with Donald — he’s the cutest and the funniest, and why would you not want to kiss him on TV? But I think that when we shot that scene, there was both a feeling that it was the appropriate place for the character to be and a sense that it would, for people who had been paying attention to the backlash, at least evoke some sense that we were in a dialogue with our audience. It definitely wasn’t a “Fuck you, haters!” That’s not really how I tend to roll my game. But at the same time, it was a pretty clear statement that we are comfortable, that there isn’t a political agenda against having black characters in the show.
Why make him a Republican?
We liked the idea of a Republican entering their universe. And Hannah doesn’t really have a clear sense of why you shouldn’t date a Republican; it’s kind of just like the same reason why you shouldn’t date a Nazi: You just shouldn’t.”
• Beyonce has released a new trailer for her HBO documentary Life Is But A Dream. You can hear Destiny’s Child new single “Nuclear” here.
• You can sort of see Larry Stylinson’s peepee in the latest One Direction video.
• This guy – Georgia Representative – thinks there is a such thing as legitimate rape.
“Todd Akin … was asked by a local news source about rape and he said, ‘Look, in a legitimate rape situation’ – and what he meant by legitimate rape was just look, someone can say I was raped: a scared-to-death 15-year-old that becomes impregnated by her boyfriend and then has to tell her parents, that’s pretty tough and might on some occasion say, ‘Hey, I was raped.’ That’s what he meant when he said legitimate rape versus non-legitimate rape. I don’t find anything so horrible about that. But then he went on and said that in a situation of rape, of a legitimate rape, a woman’s body has a way of shutting down so the pregnancy would not occur. He’s partly right on that.”
• Kim Kardashian wants to name her baby “Liv” after “Live Tyler.” OTAY.
• Destiny’s Child are reuniting for the Superbowl. Beyonce might let Kelly or Michelle sing . . . maybe. We’ll see . . .
• Ke$ha has released a new music video for “C’Mon.” Yes, there are giant furry animals. Yes, your ’60s born parents would call this, “LSD.”