Nightclub Fire in Brazil Kills at Least 245
At least 232 people died in a tragic nightclub fire at Kiss Nightclub in Santa Maria, Brazil early this morning. According to CNN, about 2,000 people were inside the club when the fire broke out, which was double the maximum capacity of 1,000. Although firefighters and ambulances responded quickly after the fire broke out, it was reported that the fire spread too fast inside the packed club for them to help.
The overcrowding led to many being trampled to death and others to die of smoke inhalation. It was reported that many struggled to find the exits in the dark, and there were no exit signs over the doors. This led to mass confusion and chaos. Witnesses said that a flare or firework lit by band members providing entertainment for the night may have started the fire.
This tragedy is one of the deadliest nightclub fires in over a decade.
[Lead Image via The Hindu]