As much as I hate to admit it, some of my favorite moments in TV and movies occur when someone declares their love for another person. Declarations of love don’t always have to be some grand scene in the rain or at the airport but they can come in smaller, more everyday moments. And not all the moments have to be the happiest either, as long as the message is the same. Here are 22 of my favorite declarations of love:
1. Broke Back Mountain: While it’s not the happiest scene on the list, this scene from Brokeback is one of the most honest and emotionally-charged declarations of love.
2. Notting Hill: Julia Roberts is the queen of romantic movies and her speech from Notting Hill is the best. In the movie montage of my life, I’d get to say this speech to someone.
3. Gossip Girl: There’s so many great moments of Chuck and Blair, Chair, from Gossip Girl. This scene in the hospital is probably one of the most honest moments we’ve ever seen from them.
4. Ever After: What girl doesn’t dream of her prince? It’s lovely to see the prince humble himself and accept Danielle for who she is.
5. Friends: Ross and Rachel’s first kiss just sends me through a range of emotions. One minute I’m laughing, one minute I’m “oh-no”-ing, and by the end I’m cheering.
6. Everwood: Hannah and Bright’s shower scene is one of the most beautiful moments I’ve seen on TV. The way he tells her she’s beautiful and special gets me choked up every time.
7. Grey’s Anatomy: Burke may have not said these vows to Christina but whoever wrote this knew what a woman wants to hear on her wedding day. His vows paired with Ray LaMontagne’s song “Hold You in My Arms” playing in the background, made for a perfect moment.
8. The Notebook: No explanation needed.
9. 10 Things I Hate About You: Who didn’t cry when Julia Stiles read her emo poem to the entire class when she realized she was in love with Heath Ledger? Quintessential 90s high school emotions.
10. Titanic: Seeing Leo/Jack die was one of the first romantic scenes I remember connecting to. My seven year-old self acted out this scene on the regular.
11. Gilmore Girls: Luke is a man of very few words but this one line and moment were enough to put him and Lorelai on the list.
12. Parks & Rec: Leslie and Ben are my favorite TV couple and this moment sums it all up. Sometimes you have to say, “Screw it.”
13. When Harry Met Sally: Everyone wishes their New Year’s Eve could turn out like Harry and Sally’s.
14. Jerry Maguire: Just when we thought it wouldn’t work, Jerry comes back and delivers this heartfelt speech in to Dorothy in front of a room full of women. All he really needed to do was stop at hello.
15. The Wedding Singer: This song is romantic and silly in the way only a romantic comedy can be.
16. The Vampire Diaries: The Elena/Damon/Stefan love triangle is far from over but this was one of my favorite moments between Elena and Damon.
17. The O.C.: Seth and Summer’s first official kiss is that geek gets the girl moment you cheer for. It’s a giant step for Summer and act of bravery from Cohen.
18. One Tree Hill: All Lucas needs to say is, “It’s you.” Simple words to change their whole relationship.
19. Boy Meets World: Cory and Topanga get back together at Disneyland! It’s a magical place for a reason.
20. Love Actually: Without actually saying anything, Mark makes one of the most memorable romantic comedy moments. Juliet’s response is perfect for their moment.
21. Breakfast at Tiffany’s: Can’t we all be Audrey Hepburn? Only she would look this amazing searching for a cat in the rain.
22. Cold Mountain: Inman and Ada go through so much in this movie and this scene is heartbreaking in its honesty and beauty.