Something I have always wondered for my entire adolescence is how the heck do you know when you’re in love? How do you distinguish between “puppy love” or lust or real, full blown committed love? What are the differences? What are the key ingredients that make two people fall madly in love with one another?
I’ve been in a few relationships and when I look back on them, some of the times when I thought I was in love, I was really just in lust or infatuated or in love with the idea of them rather than the actual person. I think falling in love becomes more serious and genuine with age and experience. I also think that love can happen earlier than we think. Though it’s hard for me to even take someone at 19 seriously when they say they love their boyfriend or girlfriend, I know that there must be some sort of truth to it.
How do we know when we’re really, truly in love? How did I decide that I love my boyfriend? Did I just look at him one day and decide? Did I make a checklist and go over every point on it? No. It just happens. You don’t know when, you don’t know how, you don’t know why. It just happens. And while there are no definite definers that will prove your feeling, there are some pretty good signs that you may be falling in love.
1. You cannot get them off your mind. They are the first thing you think about when you wake up, and the last thing you think about before bed. You see something at a store and think, “Oh! They’d really like that.” You wonder what they’re doing at every moment that they’re not with you, and you wonder if they’re thinking about you too.
2. You become much more generous. Suddenly, you’re cooking them dinner. You’re making their bed in the morning when you don’t even make your own. You buy them little gifts. You take this sudden burst of generosity and share it with others too.
3. They make you a better person. You smile more, laugh often, and keep your mind positive. You want to help others and spread the joy and love that you’re feeling every second of the day.
4. You want to know everything about their life — their childhood, their family, their favorite song, their most embarrassing moment, their deepest secrets. You want to know them inside and out. You want to be able to say that you’re the person who knows them best.
5. You don’t mind their flaws. Or if you do mind their flaws, you find that endearing and choose to love them anyway.
6. No one is more funny, attractive, or kind than your love. They are perfect (or maybe just perfect for you).
7. You feel comfortable around them. You feel like you can tell them anything, and they won’t judge you or look at you different. You are comfortable in your feelings, and you’re comfortable in their feelings for you.
8. You miss them all the time.
9. You see them in your future. You see them in your plans that haven’t happened yet.
10. You’re just plain happy. Enjoy it!
[Lead Image via Wallpaper Passion]