Hello members of the Pretty Committee! (That’s actually from another YA book series but who cares? It works for this show too.) In case you were under a rock and missed last night’s episode of Pretty Little Liars, I am here to help! But before we get into last night’s show, at the end of season three we left off with the girls trying to confront Red Coat, the leader of A’s team, but the mysterious figure literally disappeared in the smoke of a fire. Season four picks up from that same night.
1. Mona is still running the show: The fire and appearance of Red Coat forces Mona to join forces with the other four. It seems like she’s on their side for once but nothing is face value with Mona. I like to think of her as the human Chesire cat–her grin barely conceals her devious nature. I did feel kind of bad for when she confronted Hannah about her fake friendliness and gave her the chip. Even sociopaths need friends I guess.
2. “Red Coat” is the united enemy: Who is Red Coat? Is it Ali? And why did she save the girls from the fire?! So many questions! No one has any idea on who it could be but everyone except for Emily thinks that Red Coat could be Alison. Either Alison has a doppleganger or she’s a very active zombie. The writer’s seem to have many tricks in their bag of twists and turns, so anything is possible. I won’t count a zombie Ali out.
3. Derek Wilden is six feet under: Another murder on our hands! It’s not looking good for the girls, since all the evidence of Derek’s death is pointing towards them. Mona may or may not have framed them but someone sure is. After A led Spencer and Mona to the phone in Wilden’s coffin (morbid scene for sure), we now know that Hanna’s mom could be the next target. With the police force keeping a close eye on them and A’s video of the night of the fire, we know this won’t go away anytime soon.
4. Kids with dolls are always creepy: I just loved the little throw-in of “Alison” giving the neighborhood girls dolls of the PPL girls and Mona. I could say something deep and metaphorical about the girls, dolls, and females in our society but I won’t. At the end of the day, it was just creepy–as was the burnt mask the Red Coat character put on at the end of the episode.
5. The Love of Ezria, Ezra and Aria, won’t die: Is it just me, or is anyone else tired of this coupling? The best couple has to go to Spoby, Spencer and Toby, hands-down. Emily and Paige are a million times better as well. Ezria is broken up for now BUT he’s still considering taking a full-time job at Rosewood. Aria sent him a text saying that she wants to see other people but I can never believe her when it comes to him. I liked the little fake-out of the principal confronting Aria about the sexual relationship between the two. I don’t think guys like Ezra fair well in prison but he’s safe for now.
Side note: What was going on with Hanna’s styling? I miss Hanna’s short hair! It doesn’t make any sense that it’s long again because we began on the same night that last season left off on. Continuity error! Also, not a fan of the black headband or Olivia Newton-John a la Grease red hot pants. The dress she wore to Wilden’s funeral was also kind of sheer for the occasion but it was the best she looked all night.
All in all, it was a good start to the season. As usual, it was fast-paced, intriguing and it left us with some plot lines we’ll see develop through the rest of the season like:
-What is Toby’s backstory?
-Will the new cop be a friend or foe?
-Will any of PLL girls actually make it to college?
-Why is Ali’s mom back?
I know as soon as any of these questions get answered, they’ll pop up with a hundred more. Until next week!