I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the Fall Semester is literally right around the corner. If you’re an incoming freshman, chin up! You should be excited! You have a whirlwind of a year coming up. But fret not, young freshman, CC and I will be here with you every step of the way helping you navigate the new world you’re entering. Do I sound like a self-help pamphlet yet? Long story short, we’re doing a back to school series of all the TOTALLY essential information you’re going to need this year, and I’m leading the way. What makes me qualified? Perhaps it’s my super senior status, or the fact that I’ve made all of these mistakes and more that makes me an expert, I’m not quite sure, but trust me. You’re in good hands.
The first of these helpful hints comes in the form of back to school supplies. I remember moving into the dorms with my mom, dad and baby blanket in tow wondering if I would make friends. It never occurred to me to bring scotch tape. I can’t count the times that, on move in day, my family and I were making a third, fourth, fifth, umpteenth trip to the local Walmart to buy something we had forgotten. So here are ___ school supplies you might not think you need, but you’re totally going to need. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.
1. Extra Towels – Okay so I know your college checklist says one or two towels, but you’re going to want more. I ALWAYS use two towels. One for my body and one for my hair. How many uses do you think these towels have before you should wash them? 3-4 AT MOST. Then you’re out and you have to do laundry. Which sucks. So if you buy or bring from home 4-5 towels you’re totally cutting down on laundry time and giving you more time to study. And by study I mean binge watch Grey’s Anatomy on Netflix.
2. Paper Towels – Your new dorm might be nasty. Or you might spill beer. You’ll be kicking yourself for not bringing paper towels.
3. Febreeze/Cleaning Supplies – College is smelly, and it’s a really easy fix to just squirt some Febreeze in the air and pretend it never happened. Also, if your room smells the nicest you’re going to be the MOST POPULAR GIRL ON YOUR FLOOR, like totally. Windex is also a clean all for basically anything. You might think you won’t need it but it’ll be nice once your room is covered in dust.
4. Tampons – Let’s talk about the female body for a second. Unless you’re on birth control, your cycle can fluctuate. There are going to be a bunch of girls on your floor. You’ll never know when you’re going to need them. You might think you can get away with putting off purchasing them, but I’d rather be safe than stain my favorite pair of pants.
5. Batteries – NOTHING COMES WITH BATTERIES ANYMORE.
6. Mini Tool Kit – Hammer, Nails, etc. You never know when you’ll have to put together that IKEA furniture you just had to have, and the guy you enlist to help you will be super impressed with your “I don’t need no man” skills. Also, they come in pink (or orange etc, if pink just isn’t your thing).
7. First Aid Kit – Sometimes you get drunk in college and fall off the top bunk and cut yourself. Sometimes band-aids are a good solution to this problem.
8. Nightlight – see above.
9. Tape – Hang those “COLLEGE” John Belushi posters, you Animal you.
10. Post It Page Markers – These are actually super helpful when it comes to studying. You save EONS of time by moving to the right page instead of flipping around your book thinking, “Maybe it’s chapter 2, or is it 4?”
Molly is a senior journalism/English major at a school you haven’t heard of in a state you haven’t heard of. She’s obsessed with Chandler Bing, English bulldogs, and cheese. Follow her on twitter @gwacamolly.
[Lead image via Creativa/Shutterstock]