A smoky eye will never go out of style, so learning to perfect it is worth your time. It may seem like there are many time-consuming stages, but it will quickly become a five minute process. Check out the step-by-step guide below to give yourself the perfect smoky eye that will last all through the night.
1. Start with an eye primer to create a perfect canvas. Eye shadow and liner can crease or stray after a few hours of wear. Apply a good primer all over your lid, from lash line to eyebrow, and underneath the eye before using concealer. My oily skin causes shadow to crease without fail, but LORAC Behind the Scenes Eye Primer keeps it looking fresh all day.
2. Line your eyes with a dark shade. Whether black, charcoal, eggplant or any other smoky hue, eyeliner creates the drama for this sultry look. Line your top lashes from the inner to outer corners, dot in between your bottom lashes and line the inner rim. Smudge with an eyeliner brush for more drama. I swear by Benefit BADgal Waterproof Liner because it stays put and is equipped with a blending tip. The MAC Eye Pencil provides rich, consistent color and the Sephora Collection Pro Smudge Brush #11 is both precise and a great value.
3. Apply a medium powder shadow from top lashes to crease. Blend the shadow from the lid to the crease, using upward and outward motions. The matte, dark grey hue of MAKE UP FOR EVER Eyeshadow in Anthracite 40 is perfect for all complexions. If you want to try something funkier, ARDENCY INN MODSTER Light-Catching Eye Powder in Teddy Boy features lava red pearls with silver and turquoise reflects.
4. Dust a light neutral shadow along your brow bone. This will highlight your eyes and make them pop. Bobbi Brown Shimmer Wash Eye Shadow in Champagne is great if you want a touch of sparkle, and bareMinerals Eyecolor in Vanilla Sugar is perfect for everyday wear.
5. Add a light pearly shadow to the inner corners of your eyes. Doing this makes eyes appear larger and brighter. It’s not a necessary step but creates a gorgeous illusion if you have the time. Stila ‘Kitten’ Allover Shimmer Powder can also be used on the cheekbones for added drama.
6. Apply two coats of the deepest, darkest mascara you can find. This is like the icing on the cake and an absolute must to finish the look. Wiggle the wand from bottom to top so each lash is coated completely. I’m a huge fan of Tarte Lights, Camera, Lashes! which is clinically proven to increase the appearance of lash volume by 424 percent.
Now that you know how to achieve a perfectly smoky eye, will you be rocking it this weekend?
[Lead image via Olga Ekaterincheva/Shuttershock]