In a new interview, actress Minnie Driver revealed that she was physically assaulted at the age of 17. The Speechless actress, 46, recounted the frightening attack during SiriusXM’s Stand UP! with Pete Dominick on yesterday.
“I was on vacation in Greece, and this guy kinda elbow-grabbed me, and said, ‘You’re going to dance with me,'” Driver said. “I said ‘no’ and I pulled my arm away from him, and he grabbed me by the back of my hair. I tried to kick him, and then he punched me.”
The local authorities got involved, but Driver says that the placed the blame on her, defending her attacker by saying he was simply trying to have a good time and that she should’ve just gone along with it.
Driver believes that when the authorities handle assault situations like this, they deter women from sharing their stories. “You would believe when you’re young, when you’re 17, 18, you’re going out, the idea that unwanted male attention is something that you are supposed to put up with because it is somehow your role that a guy can come and touch you, he can put his hand way too far down the small of your back so that his hand is kind of going into your butt and that that’s alright,” she said on Tuesday. “That you can be shepherded, herded, touched, mauled. I think young women, they’ve been belittled when they’ve said something.”
Driver says she knows too many women who have been manhandled, and amidst all of the assault accusations against Donald Trump, she’s been voicing her support for Hillary Clinton via Twitter and bashing Trump for his “locker room talk.” Driver is the second actress to recently speak out about her assault experience, following Amber Tamblyn earlier this week.