Study Reveals Our Dining Preferences Are Breaking Down Dating Stereotypes

romantic playlist valentine's day

Shutterstock

Out of all the first dates you’ve been on, how many of them involved going out to eat? Whether it’s just grabbing coffee at a cafe or going all out to dinner, food is involved in almost every date many of us have ever been on. There used to be unwritten rules about ordering. Like, ladies shouldn’t order anything heavy and you shouldn’t get “messy” food like pasta or burgers. These stereotypes dominated the dating game for quite some time, but what about now?

Both GrubHub and Tinder joined together to get to the bottom of this dating conundrum. Barbara Martin Coppola, chief marketing officer at GrubHub, was excited to work with the popular dating app to get a better feel for the food-related dating preferences of singles. They surveyed over 2,000 people in the United States asking about expected food etiquette within the first three dates.

“Most first dates involve food, so partnering with GrubHub to learn more about how eating preferences affect compatibility was a perfect fit for us,” Rosette Pambakian, vice president of global communications and brand for Tinder, said. “The findings are interesting and highlight the important role food plays in dating.”

Here are the five main conclusions of the study.


1. Singles order heartier meals.

Instead of watching the calorie intake, 62% of participants prefer to order fuller meals instead of their lighter counterparts. Ladies, feel free to ditch that bland salad and order that steak. Your stomach will thank you and your date might join you. I mean seriously, if you’re going to a fancy place you have to order something good. If you bring me to a seafood restaurant, I will order seafood. And if your date judges you for your food choices? Probably best not to go on another date with them.


2. Paying the bill isn’t a one-way street.

Toss out the idea that the man has to put the bread on the table. Now that women are gaining more empowerment in our day and age, we’re all opening up to the idea that splitting the bill isn’t considered rude anymore. Only 34% of people would be turned off if you didn’t offer to pay the bill, leaving the remaining 64% of us with a full stomach and a happy wallet. Still, even if you think your date will pay the bill, it’s polite to offer.


3. You don’t have to go all out on the third date.

I wouldn’t cheap out completely, but you don’t have to pull out a dress and tie on the third date. 60% of participants wouldn’t mind a casual dine in while the remaining 40% prefer to go out. Personally, I’d rather save money and stay in. Set up your Netflix and get ready to chill for the rest of the night. You’ve earned it for lasting three dates.


4. Sharing is caring.

I had a date that would glare at me for jokingly taking a piece of chicken off his plate. Some people are just territorial about their food. It’s not like I wasn’t going to share mine. Luckily 69% of people agree with me that sharing your food is totally acceptable. Heck, it can be romantic depending on the circumstances. Don’t you remember Lady and the Tramp? Yeah, not going to lie. That one date set the bar pretty high for me.


5. Don’t use a fork for sushi.

For the love of God, please don’t eat sushi with a fork. It’s fine if you can’t use chopsticks, but using a fork is as cringe-worthy as it is impolite. 56% of participants agree with me, although the other 44% might consider it cute. Wouldn’t it be cuter if you saw your date fumbling awkwardly with chopsticks? It’s definitely better than spearing it with a fork. You can easily learn how to use chopsticks, but eating sushi with your hands is equally acceptable. In fact, in most high-end sushi restaurants customers will usually use their hands over chopsticks.

Related TopicsDating Love tinder
Lillie Mae GauranoCOLLEGECANDY Writer
A writer by day and a reader by night, and if you say the words "free" and "food" together I'm there.
Comments