If you want to lose a few pounds (or a lot of pounds) there are very healthy ways of doing so. Ways that don't require you to binge on exercising or skip meals. We asked our friend Erin, a health and diet connoisseur for the college female at Student Body, for her advice on dieting the healthy way.
Ladies, in honor of National Eating Disorders Awareness Week, it's time to ask ourselves, "Do I?" and "Am I?" It's about looking at our own lives, and figuring out what's healthy and what's not.
So maybe you’ve never gone more than 24 hours without food. Maybe you’ve never taken a laxative or made yourself throw up after eating too much. You don’t have an Eating Disorder. But how much of your day is spent thinking about food?
It's the hushed whispers in the floor bathroom after a girl walks out. It's skipping meals and doubling up on gym time. It's body-bashing other people's and your own body with your friends. It's losing friends and alienating people. It's taking a risk with your health. It's keeping quiet. It's time to talk about it!
We all feed our stomachs daily, but are we really giving them what they want and deserve? Sometimes it’s hard to fit healthy food into a busy schedule, making it even harder for us to keep our digestive tract happy and healthy. Unfortunately, one of the most common side effects of an unhappy tum-tum is bloating (ew).
Admit it: most of you made a New Year's Resolution that had something to do with your body. Maybe it was to lose weight, or get in shape, or build muscle, etc, etc. And maybe you have been doing great so far. Go you!
Ever wonder why those treacherous treadmill sessions haven't turned you into the next Gisele? Are you one of those people who thinks that you can eat a slice of pizza after leaving the gym because the body is supposed to burn more fat on days that you exercise? Well, step away from the pizza, woman.
We all love to talk about metabolism. A lot. Some of us love it (like that girl who never goes to the gym and eats french fries for every meal and somehow still wears a size 00) and some of us hate it (when we eat an apple and our thighs starts rubbing together). But does anyone really know what metabolism is or how it works?
• People really like Sandra Bullock and Taylor Swift. • Is "The Notebook" going to Broadway? • Are you eating too fast? • Find the perfect hair color for you. • Bad news for Simon Cowell lovers. • Dress yourself 10 pounds thinner.
New year, new you. That's the whole idea behind new year's resolutions, right? Except most resolutions get tossed out the window by February, leaving the resolutioner in the same exact place they were one year before. But it doesn't have to be that way. There are lots of ways to ensure you stick to your goals, one of them being accountability.
Apparently some lady with a deep love for burritos lost 50 pounds eating Taco Bell (from the drive-thru - homegirl couldn't even get out of the car). And now, thanks to her tremendous success, the head honchos over at Taco Bell HQ are trying to make us all think about Taco Bell in a new way.
Fact: on a daily basis the majority of us treat our bodies like crap. Sure we work out, we (try) to eat healthy, we pour over the latest health magazines and shell out dough for cute workout gear. But there is nothing healthy about an existence made up of 3 hours of sleep; daily Venti Americanos; and too many weekends filled with booze, late night pizza and drunkity drunk dip, to keep count.
es, we all have that friend and while sometimes you wish you could just give her a big box of cookies for the holidays, there are just a few things she'd appreciate a whole lot more. But what can you get her that will make her happy without packing on the pounds? Try a few of these on for size:
• What are the best albums of the decade? • Was Marilyn Monroe a pothead? • 13 signs it's time to dump his ass. • Nick Jonas goes it alone. • Kick that hunger with this little secret. • Mila Kunis is dating Macauley Culkin?
• This time about Britney Spears. • Don't miss out on these Black Friday deals! • Kevin Federline: skinny and douchey. • Uh, guys have more personality? What? • Stay motivated on that diet! • MTV is pissing off the Italians.
It is my firmest belief that fast-food restaurants should be listed as one of America’s deadliest sins. But because I can’t say no to a good drive-thru, I decided to figure out the healthiest options to order in hopes of keeping obesity at bay. And it's surprisingly not that hard to find healthy options at grease pits these days.
• Adam Lambert is bigger than the Beatles? • Justin Timberlake and Jessica Biel are dunzo! • Germans stink in bed. Literally. • Privilege and the Ivy League. • What's wrong with Tori Spelling? •Lip gloss that curbs your appetite? Hollerrrr.
With all the crazy diet fads, weight loss pills and general hysteria over how to shed extra weight, it’s no surprise when another completely ridiculous tactic comes out. And I'm not talking "only eat bacon" ridiculous. Allow me to introduce you to Dr. Nikolas Chugay’s mesh patch.
So the fall semester is rolling round again. For you freshies that means the dreaded “Freshman 15." For the rest of us it means the shame of gaining an undisclosed amount of weight even though we are supposed to be “adjusted” and know how to stay healthy while we’re away from home.
1) The LIVESTRONG.com Calorie Tracker If you're like me and often find yourself looking up the calorie content in everything, this one is for you. Not only does it help keep track of your daily calorie intake, but you can also see how many calories you've burned throughout the day.
I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it here another two weeks. I may kill myself. Or someone else. I say this because yesterday I was forced to do a mini-triathalon. I'm not sure if I've ever endured greater agony than what I just experienced. Alright, that's sort of an overstatement, but it really was incredibly effing hard.
This summer is my last summer at home. While most of you can relate when I say that I'm ecstatic (believe me, I am), it may not be for the reason everyone expects. Read: living with the parents breathing down my neck. You see, when I go home, I gain weight.
• Bill Clinton's still got it. • Find those hidden calories and beat 'em. • Lady Gaga and Beyonce sweep VMA nominations. • But Brit is close behind! • Is this the future of hip hop? • 10 secrets men are keeping from us.
Around 3:00 PM everyday I hit an energy low. I get restless, tired, and cranky. Naturally I'll grab a latte to perk me up. But the caffeine fix really only lasts a few hours before I'm back where I started ... falling asleep in an inappropriate place. Like my desk. In the middle of a class. That only has 6 people in it.
When I first heard that Joe Jonas couldn’t keep it together post break up with girlfriend Camille Belle and sobbed on stage during a show, I thought it was adorbs. A guy who is in touch with his emotions and willing to let it all out in front of 25,000 people? Be still my heart.