Just because it’s August doesn’t mean it’s time for school. Ignore those back-to-class commercials, put off buying that dorm furniture for a few more weeks, and wait for that fall fashion to go on sale in September.
Its still summer, bitches, and I’m enjoying it until the last of the Labor Day barbeque smoke disappears.
A celebration is nothing without food, so in honor of a summer that is NOT over, here are some munchies that are only truly fun to eat June-August.
• Jell-O Pudding Pops: Oh yeah. Remember these things from childhood? So. Freaking. Good. Apparently, they were taken off the market for a few years, but an actual petition circulated around the Internet until Popsicle started to remake them. Just staring at the box is making my 7-year-old inner child start to climb the walls in anticipation.
• Margaritas: You can drink ‘ritas any time you want, but these alcoholic treats are truly at their best when you’ve got one in your hand at the end of hot day. Besides, no one but little girls with fake I.D’s order a blended frozen drink in the middle of winter.
• S’Mores: There’s not much to say except yes ma’am when it comes to chocolate, marshmallows, and graham crackers. And sure, you can make these in the microwave in the dead of January, but how celebratory is that? Plus…have you ever had to clean up exploded marshmallow? It’s an all day affair.
• Fruit: So many yummy and healthy fruits are in season now; it would be a crime to leave them off this list. Plums, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries…the list goes on, and when fruit is in season, it’s almost as good as candy. I know I sound like your grandma when I say that, but it’s true. Plus, you can make delicious drinks like this.
• Grilled Meat! (or veggies): Summer is cook-out season, and just because your dad, brothers, and boyfriend surround the grill with drool seeping out of their mouth doesn’t mean it’s roped off to us girls. Grilling is pretty simple (I mean, if a bunch of dudes drinking beer and watching football can do it…), and even vegetarians can get into the mix. Get your grill on now, so by the time fall and winter roll around, you can boast about your phenomenal grill skilz to all those sweet, impressionable freshman boys.
• Cold Soup: Yeah, I know…a little hoity-toity, but nothing impresses a summer date like some homemade soup created especially for the summer. I haven’t ever tried it myself (I’m a little lazy), but every time they make it on the Food Network, it looks delish.
What about you, lovelies? Any other “summer-only” foods you can think of? Let us know!