Pillow Talk with Diana: Should I Stock Up on Plan B?

Q:What exactly is “Plan B”, that abortion pill, and should I really stock up now in case I need it later?
A: Ladies, listen up: Plan B is NOT the abortion pill. Not by any stretch of the imagination.
So what is it if it’s not the abortion pill? Basically, Plan B what it sounds like — it’s your backup plan, meant to be taken up to 72 hours after unprotected sex or contraceptive failure, to prevent pregnancy. In fact, Plan B contains levonorgestrel, an ingredient found in many regular birth control pills — but in a higher dose and in two pills, taken 12 hours apart. Again, Plan B only prevents pregnancy; it doesn’t terminate an existing one, like the abortion pill would.
That being said, yes, stock up! Plan B is now available at pharmacies without a prescription if you’re 18 or older. Whether you’re boinking every hour on the hour or in a dry spell, it will give you some peace of mind to know you have a “sh*t happens” plan. My friend recently needed it, and although she was able to get it within a few hours, not everyone is so lucky. Plan B reduces the chance of pregnancy by up to 89%, but it’s more effective when taken sooner rather than later.
Get it now, on your next tampon run, and you won’t have to deal with any what ifs down the road. You may never need it, but if you do, whether it’s because of a broken (or forgotten) condom, or a sexual assault, the last thing you need to be doing is freaking out and driving at 3AM in search of an open pharmacy. If you’re shy about asking for it, you can print out a request card for it on www.go2planb.com and just hand that to the pharmacist. Don’t worry, you won’t be the first to do it.
Of course, once you have it, it shouldn’t be your primary method of birth control. It’s up to 89% effective, so if you use it irresponsibly, you’ll soon become part of the other 11%. Have safe sex, have extra condoms on hand (enough for you and a friend!), and consider using a birth control pill if you’re having sex regularly.
For more information on how to use Plan B, head to www.go2planb.com.

You Hooked Up With HIM?!? Awkward
You Hooked Up With HIM?!? Awkward
  • 10614935101348454