Somewhere along the way, someone always manages to find a way to make something that seems disgusting into an incredibly tasty dish. Like the Kitty Litter Cake pictured here (Google that and see what other horrifyingly realistic pictures you find).
A little milder form of the gross-turned-delish is the ever classic Dirt dessert.
There are different recipes circulating, but the differences lie mostly in the assembly. Yeah, you can serve up this dessert for a Halloween party or that ultra chic Garden Party on your patio in the Springtime! All it takes is a little tweaking.
First, the mechanics. This recipe comes from Taste of Home. To make this ultra mega tasty dessert you need:
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup margarine, softened
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
3 1/2 cups cold milk
2 packages (3.4 ounces each) instant vanilla pudding mix
1 carton (12 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
1 package (18 ounces) cream-filled chocolate sandwich cookies, crushed (yeah those would be Oreos)
1. First things first: Beat the cream cheese, margarine, and confectioners’ sugar until smooth.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk milk and pudding mixes for 2 minutes. Then resist the urge to lick the bowl and let it stand for about two minutes, until it’s set.
3. Gradually add your cream cheese mixture to the pudding. Don’t lick the bowl yet! You have to finish the dessert first.
4. Fold in the whipped cream. (Are you snacking on the cookies? Good–don’t. You need them.)
5. Take a 13 x 9 inch pan and spread about 1 1/3 cups of the crushed cookies evenly in the bottom. Layer half of the pudding on.
6. Leftovers? Nope. Layer on half of the remaining cookies. Then top that with the rest of the pudding. And then on top of that the rest of the cookies. Now the hard part: you have to refrigerate that pan of cookie deliciousness for at least an hour.
7. Before you refrigerate, decorate! For Halloween, you can write messages on Milano cookies and then stick them upright in the “dirt” for tombstones. Add some of those little candy pumpkins and some gummi worms. Creepy huh? Tasty too!
8. All right, now refrigerate! And since you can’t touch it for at least an hour, now is the best time to lick those bowls and spoons.
When it’s ready, have some on the couch. In a bowl. Or on a plate. Or straight from the dish with a really big spoon.
(Photo courtesy of yogamum on http://yogamum.wordpress.com/2006/10/)