[Ever see something you want but don’t have the money to buy? Ever get sick of studying/watching TV and have the urge to get crafty and make things on your own? We know! Us too! We just don’t know where to start, which is why we got some of CollegeCandy’s craftiest writers to share their favorite DIY projects with everyone. So get to your nearest craft store for the essentials and let’s make some fun sh*t.]
Ever have to find a last minute present for a friend/roommate/boyfriend? You’re tight on cash (clearly!), so you don’t really want to spend a lot on something they might not even like. So why not use materials you already have and make the perfect present?
I’ve been collecting beer bottle caps for a while now. I think they have a lot of personality, and I love the array of colors and logos. So, I decided to combine my collection of beer bottle caps with some other stuff I had lying around to make the perfect present: The bottle cap frame.
-1 8×10 picture frame
-Approximately 20 beer bottle caps
-Hot glue gun
-Extra glue for glue gun
1) Remove glass and backing from the frame. This way, you won’t accidentally get glue on either of them.
2) Lay out bottle caps on the frame to get an idea of how you’re going to eventually place them. You may need to adjust the number of bottle caps you use depending on the thickness of your frame.
3) Once you have the correct number of bottle caps, lightly trace the outline of the bottle caps around the frame. No need to worry about the pencil marks- you won’t see them when you finish.
4) Dump the bottle caps off of the frame, leaving only the traced outline.
5) Using the hot glue gun, CAREFULLY apply glue around the inside of the first penciled circle. Place bottle cap on the glue immediately so it doesn’t dry. Adjust cap placement as needed.
6) Repeat step 5 until the frame is complete.
DIYers note: Don’t have enough beer bottle caps? Why not throw a party and serve your favorite beer? It’ll be fun and you’ll have materials for your next craft project!