[Ever see something you want but don’t have the money to buy? Ever get sick of studying/watching TV and have the urge to get crafty and make things on your own? We know! Us too! We just don’t know where to start, which is why we got some of CollegeCandy’s craftiest writers to share their favorite DIY projects with everyone. These things are easy, fun and a great way to save some serious cashola.]
Everyone has an old t-shirt (or 40) lying around in the back of their closet that has no chance of being worn again. Not that any of us will ever get rid of them; they have sentimental value! But they are also taking up some much-needed space that would be better utilized for all the new maxi dresses we’ve been eying.
Instead of stacking them in drawers, why not turn them into something useful (and cute) and help protect the environment in the process? Turn that retro t-shirt into a recycled tote bag that can be used for the gym, school, or just walking on the streets! Stop wasting plastic shopping bags (which are typically used less than 30 minutes and only 1 % are recycled) and do your shopping in nostalgic style.
T-Shirt (heavyweight cotton works best; size depends on preference)
Needle & thread / Sewing machine
1) Lay your t-shirt on a flat surface and smooth it out.
2) Cut off the sleeves on both sides, taking care to leave the seam in place as it will make your tote more durable.
3) Cut the neck of the tee in a semicircle shape to make the opening bigger.
4) Turn the shirt inside out and sew across the bottom to seal the bag. (You can sew over it again to make it stronger.)
5) Turn the shirt right-side out.
6) Sew along the edges (where the sleeves were) to make them straight, or you can keep them frayed.
7) And that’s it! So easy and so useful! Now get out there and stock up on the groceries with your new bag