When I think back to my high school days, two things come to mind: the prison that was life before getting my license, and the freedom that came with driving out of my garage by myself that very first time.
Listening to Sugar Ray.
With the windows down.
And flipping my parents the bird.
It’s been quite awhile since the boys of Sugar Ray have been on my radar, but much like the Backstreet Boys, that doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate some of their tune-age now and then (read: always). And now I don’t have to play “Fly” over and over again to get my fix. The guys have reconnected and returned to the studio for their new album, “Music for Cougars.”
I’m no cougar (yet), but I love us some Sugar Ray in the summertime and I’m super pumped to hear what they’ve been working on. I had the chance to chat (and LOL) with some of the boys of the band, so check out what they’ve been up to since the days of “When It’s Over,” because, clearly, it’s not over yet.
5 Questions We Ask Everyone:
1. What is your most hysterical/ridiculous college memory or the most trouble you’ve ever gotten into?
Mark: When I saw Public Enemy in 1988 and Professor Griff called me and my girlfriend out for being White Devils! And, we don’t get in trouble, everrrr, wink wink.
Rodney: Never been in trouble (like, law trouble) and never been to college.
2. Name five things you can’t live without.
Mark: Ruby, Chopper, Lola (my dogs), coca cola and Howard Stern.
Rodney: IPOD/IPHONE, Howard Stern, wife & kids, grass, pets.
3. What’s your motto/advice you live by?
Mark: Life is a highway, I’m gonna ride it all night long!
Rodney: Believe in yourself.
4. What is your favorite song to belt out at the bar/in the car/for karaoke?
Mark: For karaoke: “Bust A Move” by Young MC. For the car: “Easy” by the Commodores. For a bar: “Into the Fire” by Dokken
Rodney: For the car/bar: “Spread your Wings” by Queen. I have never done karaoke!
5. Ten years from now you will be….
Mark: Playing a county fair in Kennewick, WA
Rodney: 52 years old
5 Questions Just for Sugar Ray:
1. What do you miss most about life in college?
Mark: The discovery. Everything was new, you were independent for the first time. etc.
2. What’s with the new album name, Music for Cougars? Can college girls listen to it, too, or should we just be gifting it to our moms?
The title is advising everyone to take a swim in “Lake You.” Everyone can listen to it! And by the way, what’s your mom’s number?
3. Who do you think is the hottest cougar out there?
Mark: Halle Berry
Rodney: Bo Derek
4. Why did you guys decide to return to the studio after all this time?
We organically had an offer from a buddy of ours who got a label deal. It was still all 5 of us after 21 years so we figured, why not be creative again!
5. What can we expect from this new album?
The essence of Sugar Ray… back to traditional summery Sugar Ray.