As a foodie and aspiring chef, I pay a lot of attention to food. And in my life I’ve found that there are three kinds of cooks in the world:
1. Those who turn anything edible into sheer brilliance just from their touch.
2. Those who can follow directions pretty well and make things that taste OK.
3. Those who are absolutely hopeless and are seriously challenged by even our “Intro to Cooking” series.
It’s you guys in the last category that I’m targeting with this post. That’s right! If you want to pull out some culinary skills for your sweetheart and totally wow him/her on V-Day but can’t seem to even make a box of mac and cheese without burning down the house, you can still make this fondue recipe. Really – it’s that easy. Plus, it’s chocolate. You can’t go wrong.
This recipe will make enough fondue for two people, with some left over (to do whatever you want with….)
What You Need:
• 5 ounces chocolate (chocolate chips will work)
• 2 tablespoons heavy cream
• Pinch of vanilla extract
• 1/4 teaspoon sugar
• 2 teaspoons hot water
What You Do:
1. Since I know you don’t have a double boiler, you’ll be making this with a saucepan and a bowl. Simmer an inch or two of water in the pan, and set a heatproof bowl over it. Don’t let the bowl touch the water (so small bowls are probably best).
2. Put the chocolate and cream in the bowl. The hot water boiling in the pot will heat the bowl from underneath. Stir the mixture constantly until it melts.
3. When the chocolate is melted, smooth, and blended with the cream, remove it from the heat and add the vanilla, sugar, and water.
4. Whisk until smooth.
5. Keep warm (perhaps on top of the saucepan with the heat turned to low) until you’re ready to serve.
6. Once your honey bunny on a farm (or your single girlfriends with a chocolate craving) are ready, grab that chocolate and serve it with your favorite dippers: fruit, marshmallows, cookies, graham crackers, pretzels, body parts….
Romance and impressing the one you love has never been so easy!