When it comes to interior decorating, I am all about making the living space feel as comfortable and homey as possible. Despite my love for modern furniture and glam decorating, I still want warm colors, photos of family and friends, and seasonal smelly candles (pumpkin spice…mmmmm) around to remind me of home.
After all, moving to the big city (NYC!!) from Georgia was definitely a change. I went from sweet southern porches to a 5th floor walk up above a dingy pizza shop…and I absolutely love it.
But despite my utter obsession with this city, my new mostly black wardrobe, and my sudden fondness for cosmopolitans and the closest Duane Reade, I can’t forget my Georgia roots. Home is where the heart is after all. So in an ode to my hometown (and my thinning wallet), I crafted an easy and inexpensive art piece to spruce up my current home and remind me of my former home.
It’s fun, it’s personal and it’s cute. And if you don’t need wall art of your own, this makes the perfect gift for homecomings, housewarmings, and holidays (it is almost Christmas… YIPPEEE!).
What You’ll Need:
A Frame: Any type or size. New, old, dirty, dingy, fancy, or vintage. Doesn’t matter!
A paper map of your hometown: Yes, they still make actual paper maps. Who knew? You can pick up a map of your new town, your old town, or your dream town pretty much anywhere: gas stations, book stores, drug stores, the back seat of your car. I picked mine up from Barnes and Noble. For an even cheaper route, print out a color copy off the internet.
Craft paper: Find paper at any craft store or drug store. Pick a solid color, no patterns (it will clash with the map)
Scissors: Snip, snip.
Markers: Doodle, doodle.
What You’ll Do:
1. Cut your map and craft paper to the size of the frame.
2. Outline a heart on the craft paper (as big or small as you want, depending how much map you want to be seen) and cut it out leaving an open heart shape in the middle.
Other ideas: If a heart isn’t your thing, cut out something else like, “Home Sweet Home,” your town’s name, or any other word you want showcased.
3. Using markers, write a message on the craft paper underneath (or above) the heart.
Try these cute sayings: Home is Where the Heart Is, Home Sweet Home, Welcome Home!, There’s No Place Like Home
4. Now frame your work! Place the craft paper over the map and frame the two sheets! Now the map of your hometown is inside the heart. Right where it should be.
5. Hang your art, decorate a bookshelf, or wrap your DIY creation for the perfect holiday gift!
6. Relish in your own craftiness and frugal decorating skills like the creative genius that you are.
Wanna see some more DIY projects? Click here and channel your inner artist!