December is the month of holiday parties and family get-togethers. The people are cheerful, the cities are festive, and everyone is in a fabulous mood. But sometimes, sometimes, you just want to get away from all of that holiday cheer and see someone blow something up. And that’s why holiday movie releases exist. The perfect escape from reality, and the perfect excuse to sit in a dark room for hours and not talk to anyone. There’s something for everyone, and something to see with everyone. Not sure what to see when? Check out our guide below.
See it With Your Younger Sibling/Cousin
1. The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treaders. Starring Ben Barnes, Georgie Henley and Skandar Keynes. The third adaptation of C.S. Lewis’s series takes Lucy, Edmund, and all the rest on a voyage where they encounter dragons, dwarfs, and warriors. Out December 10. Watch the trailer here.
2. Yogi Bear. Starring the voices of Dan Aykroyd and Justin Timberlake. Everyone’s favorite picnic basket stealing bear and his sidekick Boo-Boo team up with Park Ranger Smith to save Jellystone Park from closing. Out December 17. Watch the trailer here.
See It With Your Girlfriends
1. How Do You Know. Starring Reese Witherspoon, Owen Wilson, Paul Rudd, and Jack Nicholson. Lisa doesn’t know what she wants. Watch as she attempts to choose between her current boyfriend, and the old friend she just so happens to run into. A romcom at its finest. Out December 17. Watch the trailer here.
2. Blue Valentine. Starring Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams. Told through a series of flashbacks, viewers watch as Dean and Cindy relive the best moments in their relationship while trying to save their crumbling marriage. Out December 31. Watch the trailer here.
See It With Your Boyfriend
1. Little Fockers. Starring Robert DeNiro, Ben Stiller, Owen Wilson, Teri Polo, and Blythe Danner. A follow up to Meet the Parents and Meet the Fockers. Laugh along as Greg, who has been married to Pam for ten years now, once again tries to redeem himself in the eyes of his father-in-law at his twins’ birthday party. Out December 22. Watch the trailer here.
2. The Fighter. Starring Mark Wahlberg, Christian Bale, Amy Adams, and Melissa Leo. A “docudrama” that tells the story of WBU Intercontinental Lightweight title winner Micky Ward, and his boxer-turned-trainer half- brother, Dicky. Out December 10. Watch the trailer here.
Just See It
1. The Tourist. Starring Johnny Depp and Angelina Joie. A romance turned thriller. Depp plays Frank, an America tourist attempting to mend a broken heart when he meets Jolie. He thinks their acquaintance is an accident. It’s not. Out December 10. Watch the trailer here.
2. Frankie & Alice. Starring Halle Berry, Stellan Skarsgard, Phylicia Rashad, and Chandra Wilson. The biographical drama tells the story of Frankie Murdoch, who suffered from multiple personality disorder in L.A. in the 1970s. Out December 10. Watch the trailer here.
Which holiday movie are you most excited see? Do you want some mushy gushy romance, some over the top drama, or would you prefer some blowing up and freaking out?