Well girls it’s that time again.
Tomorrow night you’ll pop your popcorn and plop down on the couch to see yet another award show. The Oscars. The Academy Awards. The best of the best in award shows. (Or at least they seem to think so.) But with all the hype surrounding award shows lately I can’t help but think a regular night at the Oscars might not hold up that well against some of the drama we’ve had surrounding our award shows lately.
How can the Oscars compete with that? Well, I have a few ideas…
1. Get Ricky Gervais to host. I know James Franco and Anne Hathaway already have this gig covered but I think it would be great if Ricky Gervais at least got the chance to speak. I mean the man’s been a social pariah since the Golden Globes and I think it’s time he and Hollywood bury the hatchet. Sure, the celebs may not be ready for another round of Ricky’s hard hitting humor but I most definitely am. These celebs need to learn to take a joke and the only way they’re going to get a thicker skin is if they’re exposed to the abuse over and over again. What…too harsh?
2. Someone needs to pull a Kanye. I think it would work best if this were to take place during the winner of Best Picture’s acceptance speech. Let’s say The Social Network wins. Someone should step up just as Scott Rudin is thanking the academy and declare that they’re going to let him finish but Inception is the best film of all time, and could Christopher Nolan please tell him if the whole thing was a dream or not now? Because it’s been driving him crazy for months and he needs answers! And so do I.
3. Natalie Portman should have a “wardrobe malfunction.” Similar to Janet Jackson’s at the Super Bowl back in the day. She played a ballerina in Black Swan, right? Just have her do a couple of pirouette’s here and there around the stage and let her strapless gown fall down a bit too far. And have her continue the dance as though she hadn’t even realized it happened. Got to love live television, right?
4. Jesse Eisenburg should kiss a boy and like it. Gentleman’s choice, of course, but I can’t help but feel like his costar, Andrew Garfield would make a good smoocher. Not only would it add a whole new dimension to their best friends/worst enemies dynamic, break that rule about not mixing business with pleasure, and serve as a throwback to the Britney/Madonna kiss, but it would also cause people to stop and wonder what really happened between Marc Zuckerberg and Eduardo Saverin. Completely unfounded? Yes. But entertaining nonetheless.
5. James Franco and Anne Hathaway should hookup. Have you seen their Oscar commercials? They’re just so darn adorkable together as they train to host the Oscars. Laughing and teasing and just being too cute for me to want any of the above to take place and cause them trouble. I mean, I’ve loved Anne Hathaway since she played the frizzy haired Mia Therm0polis in The Princess Diaries, and James Franco, well, he’s James Franco. So if none of the above were to happen it would be okay as long as these two were to hook up. And mean it. Like, have the cameras zoom in on them going at it behind stage when they should be hosting. It can be staged. I don’t care. Just don’t tell me that. Please?
Fingers crossed for a little Oscar excitement to break up the long-winded acceptance speeches(!!). Make sure to tune in with us Sunday night as we liveblog all the potential dramz!