Bethenny Frankel's Miscarriage and Other Celeb's Struggle to Get Pregnant

Bethenny Frankel is a fortunate woman with a lot to be happy about. She has been on three reality TV shows, including The Real Housewives of New York. She has started and successfully sold her company, SkinnyGirl, and she has a beautiful baby with her husband, Jason Hoppy. Unfortunately, this does not exempt her from the pains that many women feel each year: on the Today Show, Bethenny revealed that she was pregnant with a second child when she miscarried after eight weeks.
Although miscarriages happen every day, they are heartbreaking, regardless. Bethenny’s miscarriage means that for about eight weeks, she was getting increasingly more excited about having another baby. She, like most women, imagined her life they way it would have been in a few short months with a new addition to her family. The sad truth is that this happens all the time: about 10-25% of pregnancies will end in miscarriage. Unfortunately for Bethenny, this number only increases with age.

According to the American Pregnancy Association, women under 35 have a 15% chance of miscarriage, women between the ages of 35-45 have a 20-35% chance, and women over the age of 45 have up to a 50% chance of miscarriage. Bethenny’s statement was correct when she said she feels like her “window’s closing.”
As women, raising a child is part of our instinct. It is something we are all genetically hard-wired to do and, when we can’t, it is often emotionally traumatic. While it is both understandable and normal for Bethenny to be upset about her miscarriage, roughly 10% of women cannot get pregnant at all. That means that they can’t even have one child, like Bethenny. This 10% doesn’t even include the huge number of women that have difficulty getting pregnant, even when they desperately want to. So, even though Bethenny wants another child, she is happy and lucky to have had one at all. Here are other celebrities that have, like many women across the country, suffered from pregnancy difficulties:

Ashley is a freshman at George Washington University and she’s majoring in “Overanalyzing Situations” and International Affairs. Follow her on twitter @ashleybrooks25

Maxim Says the Darndest Things: March Edition
Maxim Says the Darndest Things: March Edition
  • 10614935101348454