Dear Tuffy Luv,
I am going out to a Match.com event tomorrow at Nordic Scandinavian Bar and it’s been a while since I hit town. Can you please help me figure out the perfect thing to wear? I want to look cute and pulled together without giving off that “trying too hard” vibe.
I had to look up what that is, but basically it looks like it’s a cute bar chain. And you’re going on a sort of group date, I guess, no? So attention MUST be paid. So, like, let’s get you going. You need to figure out which feature you want to highlight (and yes, you should only highlight ONE) and highlight the shoop out of it. You don’t want to give the wrong impression, right? You want to look fun, but not easy. You want to look smart, but not like you’re going to the office.
1. Something with either some cleavage or some leg, but not too much of either and definitely just one.
2. Bright colors.
2.5 Or white lace. Guys love white lace.
3. An accessory you love — like a cute necklace or funky shoes–that make the outfit personal to you.
4. Night-out shoes (read: either REALLLLLLY cute, special, embellished flats, or heels that are at least 2 inches), but nothing you can’t walk cute in, because no one wants to dance with a duck.
5. Hair not too done; a cute bed-head look is perfect here. Don’t go gross, though–you want to look prepared.
5.5 Here’s a good rule of thumb for hair vs. outfit: If your outfit is dressy, do your hair casual. This is not, after all, La Prom.
6. More mascara, less lipstick. You wanna look kissable, no?!
7. Wristlet. A little clutch that goes on your wrist. No chance of losing your crap and still dressy and cute.
and most importantly,
8. Wear something you feel good in. Shapewear if you think it’ll make you feel more confident, but preferably not. You wanna feel carefree so you just relax and have a good time.
Hearts & Skulls,
Got a question?! Girl, please. Ask Tuffy Luv. tuffyluvcc [at] gmail [dot] com