Admit it – you practically learned how to read because of The Baby-Sitters Club books. You picked your favorite girls, wondered why they were in middle school for so long, and if you were cool like me, you even had a computer game where you helped kids clean up their rooms to earn points. There was even one season of a TV show and a movie! BSC, as you recall, was a group of friends who ran a babysitting business. Parents would call the club during their meetings and whoever was available got the job. Kristy, Mary Anne, Claudia, and Stacey were the original members, but the club grew to include more members over the years. I adored these books as a kid, but I have to say, they’d be a lot different if they were sent in present times.
1. The Baby-Sitters Club would be made up of college graduates, not middle schoolers.
Finding a job right out of school is nearly impossible, and besides that, what parent would trust a 13-year-old girl to babysit?
2. Instead of play fun games with kids, the girls would try to get the kids to watch Netflix so they can play on their phones.
The girls in the books made babysitting seem like so much fun. I was in for a rude awakening when I started sitting.
3. No babysitter would ever invest their hard earned money in a “Kid Kit,” craft supplies and fun stuff for the kids they take care of.
That money is going straight to booze.
4. The babysitters’ parents would never allow their kids to go to random people’s houses by themselves.
I don’t care how safe Stoneybrook is. Puts a block on your little plan, huh, girls?
5. These girls would never be friends.
Kristy would be busy playing semi-pro softball, Dawn would be hugging trees, and Claudia would be holed up in a Brooklyn apartment creating “art.” No time for this club.
6. A club like this would never be so intense.
Meetings? Rankings like President, Junior Members, and Associate Members?
7. The Baby-Sitters Club wouldn’t even exist because parents just find sitters on Care.com.