Summertime is the perfect time to suntan and ocean-bathe, and there’s no better sidekick to bring along than your favorite refreshing drink to help you cool down in the summer heat. This year it’s time to kick it up a notch with these must-try drinks. Quench your thirst with our best summer beverages, from classic cocktails to fresh fruit juices and spritzers. They’re perfect for any occasion, whether it’s hosting an outdoor bbq, sitting poolside, or a girls night out on the town. The days of being the basic girl who only knows how to order a vodka soda are long gone!
This beautiful take on sangria gets its kick from tequila instead of brandy. Mix it up with fruit and juice, and then top it off with your favorite Spanish red wine.
- 1 bottle Rosé
- 1 cup silver tequila
- 1 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/3-2/3 cup agave nectar, depending on your taste
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, hulled + halved
- 1 cup sliced peaches
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup fresh, pitted cherries and or watermelon
- 2-3 limes, sliced
- original flavored kombucha or sparkling water, for topping
- basil, for garnish
In an effort to make a martini thoroughly slushy (without watering them down), Bobby Flay employs thought of the genius technique of freezing a puree of watermelon and simple syrup in ice cube trays. He then blends the cubes with the lemon juice, vodka and melon liqueur to form drinks that are as chilling as they are pure of flavor.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 5 cups watermelon, seeds removed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/4 cups vodka
- 2 ounces melon liqueur, optional
- 8 lemon twists, for garnish
Give this summertime classic some elegant Sicilian flair by infusing it with the flavors of another seasonal favorite: fresh basil.
- 2 cups lemon juice, about 12 to 15 lemons
- 2 cups Basil Simple Syrup, recipe follows
- 2 cups cold or sparkling water
- Lemon twists, for garnish
Basil Simple Syrup:
- 1 bunch fresh basil, washed and stemmed
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
Mix up this midsummer sip when the watermelons, strawberries, and pineapples hit the fruit stand. It’s like a rum-spiked fruit salad!
- Fresh mint sprigs, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 cup seedless watermelon cubes (1/2 inch)
- 1/3 diced strawberries
- 1/4 cup pineapple cubes (1/2 inch)
- 1 lime, quartered into wedges, plus more wedges for garnish
- Ice cubes, as needed
- 3 ounces or 3 shots white rum
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- Dash sugar cane syrup or simple syrup
Frothy, rice-based horchata instantly cuts through the heat of a hot summer day. Served with festive straws and topped with a sprinkle of cinnamon, this version is perfect for a Latin-inspired brunch!
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup blanched almonds
- 1/2 cup white rice
- 2 cinnamon sticks, plus ground cinnamon or grated cinnamon stick for serving
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Ice, for serving
This sweet-tart margarita is all fun: pink, frozen and salted on the edge to balance the flavor palate.
- 1/4 cup pomegranate juice, store-bought is fine, plus seeds for garnish
- 1/3 cup Tequila Blanco (about 4 ounces)
- 1/8 cup Triple Sec (about 1-ounce)
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (about 2 ounces)
- 12 ounces ice cubes
- Margarita salt, optional
Have your taste buds jumping for joy this summer with one of these fresh and fruity cocktails. These drinks are super easy to make and will make the perks of summer even better!