The Guinness Book of World Records was always fascinating to flip through in middle school, seeing all the wacky records people hold and wondering how some of them are even possible. But even the normal ones are achievements to behold. Justin Bieber just won eight Guinness World Records, thanks to his album Purpose.
His awards are:
1. Most streamed track on Spotify in one week – “What Do You Mean?”
2. Most streamed album on Spotify in one week – Purpose
3. Most simultaneous tracks on the US singles chart – 17 songs
4. Most simultaneous new entries in the Hot 100 by a solo artist – 13 songs
5. First act to occupy all top three positions simultaneously on UK singles chart – “Love Yourself” at #1, “Sorry” at #2, “What Do You Mean?” at #3
6. Most followers on Twitter (male) – over 85 million
7. Most viewed music channel on YouTube (individual) – over 10 billion views
8. Most subscribers on YouTube for a musician (male) – over 20 million subscribers
His eight World Records honor his achievements from this year, beating records set by other famous artists like Rihanna. Bieber had the most simultaneous tracks on the US singles chart in December 2015. And he also had a whopping 17 songs “scattered amongst the ranks on the Billboard Hot 100,” as opposed to a more typical two or three. To have that many songs on the Billboard Hot 100 at once proves just how popular Bieber’s latest music is. Naturally, social media plays an important role in Bieber’s latest wins too; he’s broken three awards just based on his online presence. Clearly, he’s making a huge effort to keep his fans happy and his music at the top.
Although Bieber has been in the public eye for a loooooong time, his popularity as a musician has wavered the last few years due to his poor personal choices. He’s had several run-ins with the law, including seriously reckless driving in 2012 and vandalism in Brazil in 2013. This peaked with his arrest in Miami Beach with singer Khalil on suspicion of driving under the influence, driving with a long-expired license and resisting arrest without violence.
Not to mention all the other sh*t that goes down. Most recently, he and ex-girlfriend Selena Gomez had a shady public feud over social media, leading him to temporarily delete his Instagram. While it’s back up now, his fans were devastated. Bieber also lip-synced an entire concert a few weeks back because he was really hungover. Concert-goers who paid hundreds of dollars were not happy. He also missed the 2016 MTV VMAs, which isn’t very nice of him since he had three nominations. All of this happened just in 2016. I could go on, honestly.
Yet he’s still a successful musician with a loyal fan base. Despite all this drama, Bieber’s career is still really impressive, as proven by these eight Guinness World Records. He’s shown that Purpose made a big impact on the world when it came out, and continues to do so even now. All the other stuff just adds fuel to the fire. As usual, it will be interesting to hear where Bieber will show up next, whether it’s on the red carpet or in the tabloids.