When you were younger, you couldn’t wait to grow up and be an adult. But, as you’ve quickly learned, there seems to be this transition period between becoming a legal adult on your 18th birthday, and actually feeling like you are an independent, fully-functioning member of society.
Rest assured, feeling a little lost about navigating adulthood is a feeling we all experienced. If you can relate to any or all of the following, chances are you are finally getting it together and becoming an adult.
1. You’ve started answering the doctors questions honestly, because you’re approaching the age where you actually care about your health
2. You communicate on a daily basis via email
3. You have opened (or at least entertained the idea) of opening a retirement/savings account
4. You’ve stopped blacking out every weekend
5. And have reserved going out only for the weekends—no more Tipsy Tuesdays or Thirsty Thursdays
6. Mainly because you now have hangovers that last 2 days
7. You care about what is going on in the world, and make at least a half ass attempt to get a daily dose of news… even if it means coming from your Twitter feed
8. You have a semi-updated resume document saved on your computer
9. You know how to write a check. You may not ever use them, but you know how should you ever need to..
10. You’ve stopped texting your parents when you need money or when your checking account is about to overdraw
11. You’re not constantly checking your bank account trying to calculate how you can afford to eat, dress well and have a social life.. down to the last 10 cents
12. You’ve learned to trust your own judgment before someone else’s
13. You have seen a comma in your bank account. It may not last very long… but it’s there
14. Summer no longer means a three month vacation
15. You are conscious of what you put into your body, and semi-know how to read food labels
16. You’ve tried to figure out how to budget and live within your means. I’m not saying you’ve mastered it, but you’ve at least attempted
17. You’ve started making better overall decisions because you think about the consequences, not just “YOLO-ing”
18. You take responsibility for your own actions instead of immediately blaming someone else, or the universe. You also realize you are no longer the center of the universe. Bummer.
19. You know how to handle any emergency situation without calling your parents (hint: Google)
20. You feel guilty about Netflix binging all day that you almost consider not doing it (keyword: almost)
21. You know the appropriate wine to pair with what foods, and how much each glass should be filled
22. Your parents are starting to become real people to you
23. You can cook at least a few meals without using a microwave
24. You do laundry on a regular basis, and actually know how to separate them appropriately
25. You actually have to make concrete plans to see your friends.. like, ahead of time
26. You think petty gossip and pointless drama is so immature. You have better things to spend your time on
27. You have realized that if you want something, you have to be willing to work for it. Life isn’t going to just hand you everything you want
28. You’ve started deeply, deeply regretting all the naps you passed up as a child.
29. You know you have to clean areas of your home you never thought to, like your oven and fridge, and now have a new-found respect for your mother
30. You appreciate a 9pm bed time