Playboy is a legendary gentlemen’s magazine infamous for its naughty pictures. Featuring sensual centerfolds and risque spreads, this magazine is known for bearing it all. Needless to say, Playboy‘s recent decision to remove its nudity came as a great shock. What will become of the magazine? Only the future will tell.
Almost as unknown as the magazine’s future is the life of spirited founder, Hugh Hefner. Living in a lavish secluded mansion, his personal life is kept fairly private. The Girls Next Door gave a glimpse into the life of Hefner, but in order to get to know him better, you have to be invited to one of the many extravagant parties he hosts. In the meantime, while you are waiting for that invite, here are 20 facts you never knew about Hugh Hefner.
- Hugh Hefner was born on April 9th, 1926. He is currently 89 years old.
- Having founded Playboy in 1953, he holds the Guinness World Record for being the longest-serving Editor in Chief of a magazine.
- Hefner gave each of his girlfriends a $1,000 weekly allowance when they were living with him.
- His mansion is one of the few private residences in the United States with a zoo license.
- He has admitted that his best sexual experience involved his girlfriend, the grotto (his mansion’s stunning rock pool), and 17 other playmates as a birthday celebration.
- He is the 9th cousin, twice removed, of President George W. Bush.
- Hefner had a strict Methodist upbringing, as both his parents were devout members of the religion.
- He has experimented with homosexuality in the past.
- He has married three women and has four biological children.
- Hefner served in the army. When he was away, his then wife (Mildred Williams) cheated on him. This was his self-proclaimed “most devastating moment of my life.”
- As an infant, he had an attachment to a bunny patterned blue and white blanket.
- In 2010, he donated $900,000 in order to save the Hollywood Sign from demolition.
- He is fervently against drugs, and they are banned from his mansion’s premises.
- Hefner worked as a copywriter for Esquire, but he left the company when they denied him a $5 per week raise.
- Throughout Playboy‘s history, Hefner has personally interviewed every single “Girl of the Month.”
- Hefner has a genius IQ of 152.
- He has all of his daily meals brought to his bedroom.
- Though he doesn’t have an exact number as he has lost track, he estimates that he has slept with over 2,000 women.
- In 1985, he suffered a mild stroke.
- Hefner will be with Playboy for the next foreseeable future, as he has been quoted saying, “I think that retirement is the first step towards the grave,” and “I have no plans to retire. It’s the perfect combination of work and play that keeps you young. If I quit work, it would be the beginning of the end for me.”
Lead Image Via