Brown Newspaper Apologizes To Malia Obama For Not Letting Her Party In Peace

Malia Obama was making more headlines than her father last week when photos of the First Daughter at a Brown University party surfaced online. She was visiting the college as a perspective student and hit up a party at the crew team’s house while Secret Service waited outside, but fellow students tweeted about seeing her take shots as well as took Snapchat pictures that seemed to show her playing beer pong. As Buzzfeed put it, “Basically, kids at Brown have no chill.”

Now, they’re apologizing for not respecting her privacy.

The student newspaper, the Brown Daily Herald, apologized to Malia on behalf of the student population with a lengthy editorial piece.

Some of the tweets include photographs of her that were clearly taken when she was not looking. Many of them mention her presence at a party, where she was seen taking shots and playing beer pong.

We often do not think about our tweets and Snapchats reaching anyone besides our friends and followers, and certainly not news outlets with wide circulation like Buzzfeed. Many Brown students were surprised and embarrassed to see themselves cited in the articles, as other Brown students posted them on Facebook with disappointed captions that criticized their peers for not simply leaving the 17-year-old alone on her college visit.

It is a shame that Malia was unable to visit Brown and enjoy herself at a party without several news headlines coming out about it the next day. While it is understandable that so many students were excited about her visit, it is likely that few of us would enjoy having strangers take pictures of us while we were unaware and post them on the Internet.

Malia, the oldest of the two Obama daughters, has toured a number of top schools— including Harvard and Tufts—as the high school senior looks to choose a college.

If by any chance she chooses to come back to Brown, the Daily Herald added: “hopefully next time we will ‘have more chill.’”

Read the Daily Herald’s full editorial here.

• 10614935101348454