Looking back, 2015 was a very eventful year. It was the year of Caitlyn Jenner, the dress, the U.S. Supreme Court legalizing gay marriage, and we had some awful tragedies. But out of all of them, the only one that Twitter truly seemed to care about was Zayn leaving One Direction. I guess I do understand. It was this generation’s Justin Timberlake leaving *NSYNC, so very heartbreaking to fan girls who undoubtedly dominate social media. Twitter revealed a year end report of the most retweeted tweets. Who made the top 10? Every member of 1D, past and present, with three out of five being at the top of the list. See the full list below.
1. Harry’s first tweet after Zayn announced he left the group.
All the love as always. H
— Harry Styles. (@Harry_Styles) March 26, 2015
2. Zayn’s tweet for support for his former bandmates when “Drag Me Down” was released.
Proud of my boys the new single is sick.
Big love. 🙂 x
— zayn (@zaynmalik) August 1, 2015
3. Liam thanking the entire group for their time together, even Zayn was included.
Wowwwww 5 years 5 boys what an amazing journey I couldn't thank you all ever enough and thank you Louis Niall Harry and zayn for everything
— Liam (@LiamPayne) July 23, 2015
4. Obama tweeted support in legalizing gay marriage.
Today is a big step in our march toward equality. Gay and lesbian couples now have the right to marry, just like anyone else. #LoveWins
— President Obama (@POTUS44) June 26, 2015
5. Louis tweeting his love for directioners aka guaranteed huge retweets.
Our fans support really has been a different class ! Huge love to you guys !!
— Louis Tomlinson (@Louis_Tomlinson) May 7, 2015
6. King Salman, King of Saudia Arabia tweeted prayers to his people after being crowned.
أيها الشعب الكريم : تستحقون أكثر ومهما فعلت لن أوفيكم حقكم، أسال الله على أن يعينني وإياكم على خدمة الدين والوطن، ولاتنسوني من دعائكم.
— سلمان بن عبدالعزيز (@KingSalman) January 29, 2015
7. Kanye sharing his “words of wisdom” to the world. Thanks, Kanye.
8. Niall tweeted a Happy Birthday Picture to Liam and fan girls everywhere freaked out.
— Niall Horan (@NiallOfficial) August 29, 2015
9. Leonard Nimoy, the Star Trek actor, tweeted this a few days before his death.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP
— Leonard Nimoy (@TheRealNimoy) February 23, 2015
10. Caitlyn Jenner’s first tweet ever.
I'm so happy after such a long struggle to be living my true self. Welcome to the world Caitlyn. Can't wait for you to get to know her/me.
— Caitlyn Jenner (@Caitlyn_Jenner) June 1, 2015
The top trends included #PrayforParis, #JeSuisCharlie, #BlackLivesMatter, #LoveWins, #RefugeesWelcome, #IStandWithAhmed, FIFAWWC, and #PlutoFlyby.