Ah, Instagram: everyone’ favorite procrastination tool. No matter what time of the day you choose to open the photo app, you can get a plethora of images which include, but are not limited to, food pictures, artistic landscapes, squad photos and perhaps even the occasional nude (before the company takes it down, of course).
You basically know everything that there needs to be known about Instagram, right? When people are studying Instagram and similar apps in colleges in the future, you’ll be earning an honorary doctorate in the study, hands down, no?
Sorry to burst your bubble, but it turns out that there’s a lot more to everyone’s favorite photo app than dogs, beauty tutorials and food. Thankfully, now you can ensure that you get your honorary doctorate in Instagram Studies because you’ve clicked on this article. Hooray!
1. The maximum amount of hashtags per photo upload is 30.
I guess even the service recognized that excessive hashtags are a worse eyesore than an over-filtered picture of the beach.
2. If you’re a teenager, Instagram is the social media platform where you’re least likely to be bullied.
We Heart It conducted a research study and found out that Instagram is the social media platform where teenagers are less likely to be bullied. Compare that to Facebook: the study uncovered that 66% of teenagers experienced bullying on the famous social network.
3. More than half of Instagram users are between the ages of 18 and 29.
If you’re over the age of 30, you’re too old for Instagram, I’m afraid. Don’t tell your mother.
4. National Geographic is the most followed account on Instagram.
It’s no surprise: Instagram users love landscapes photos of nature.
5. Instagram is the fastest growing social media platform.
Bye, Facebook (and good riddance)!
6. The United States, Japan and Brazil are the countries with the most users on the social media platform.Chris Makara
7. There are 57 million photos that bear the #selfie hashtag and its many variations.Business Tech.
8. The celebrity with the most selfies uploaded to Instagram is Kylie Jenner with 451.
9. As of 2014, 16 billion photos have been uploaded to Instagram.
10. The filter that earns the most likes and comments is Mayfair.
Just a quick tip in order to maximize the likes and comments on your next selfie!
11. 60 million photos are uploaded to Instagram per day, meaning that almost 700 photos are uploaded to the social media platform each second.
12. New York City is the most geotagged city.
I’m so proud of my city.
13. Based on Instagram photos (and on smiles), the grouchiest continent is Asia. The happiest city in the United States is St. Louis!StageOneDance.
14. There are close to 8,500 likes per second.
15. Instagram was founded in 2010 by Stanford University graduates, Kevin Systrom and Mike Krieger.
It was initially constructed as a location check-in service!