Just another scientific discovery that you now have to worry about. Hooray!
WGAL reports of a woman who put a hair tie around her wrist and it caused a near life-threatening infection. The woman, Audree Kopp, was in the middle moving homes when she noticed a bump growing on her wrist. She initially assumed it was just a spider bite, but it continued growing.
Kopp recalls, “It just kept getting bigger, and redder, and worse.”
Kopp went to see her doctor and was immediately placed on a round of antibiotics. Regardless, the bump kept growing. She went back and she was immediately put into surgery to remove the abscess from the back of her wrist. Her doctor, Amit Gupta of Louisville, Kentucky’s Norton Healthcare, thinks that the infection was caused by bacteria from Kopp’s hair tie getting under her skin through pores and hair follicles.
Dr. Gupta warns, “Be careful. You can’t tie all those hair ties around the wrist. It can cause problems with the skin. It can cause infection.”
Luckily, Kopp’s infection was caught just in time. Once the bacteria gets into your bloodstream, people have been known to go into a coma.
To prevent this from happening to you, CBS Local states that doctors say hair ties should be loosely around wrists, removed, and cleaned often.