Washington College On Lockdown After Gun Threat

washington college maryland closure
Washington College in Maryland canceled classes and is closed for the day after a shooting threat was made. Students and faculty not on campus is being instructed to stay away until further notice while those on campus are being told to remain where they are.
“College closed. Shelter in place,” was posted on the school’s website earlier this morning.
Shortly after 7:30 a.m., the college elaborated,
“We received notification early this morning from the parents of sophomore Jacob Marberger that he had returned home and retrieved a firearm. The parents have not been able to reach him and do not know where he is or where is he is headed.

Due to an abundance of caution the college has decided to close campus for the time being and asks all students and staff on campus to shelter in place. Anyone off campus should stay away from campus until further notice.

Public Safety has requested and received support from local law enforcement who are now on campus. A sweep of the parking lots and campus buildings is being conducted.”

The Elm, Washington’s student newspaper, reported that concerns began with multiple postings on Yik Yak overnight, although Maryland State Police say there is no active threat. An investigation is currently underway and the school is on lockdown until further notice. (Update, 11/18: The Elm inaccurately reported that there were threats posted on Yik Yak, but that is actually false. The Elm has removed this inaccurate information.)
Around 10 a.m. the college added an update from the Chestertown Police Department saying student Jacob Marberger is considered a missing person but is not accused of any wrongdoing at this time. Administrators believe Marberger is still in Pennsylvania but they are still taking precautions with the campus lockdown.
Shooting threats on college campuses have been quite prevalent over the past few weeks, but threats like these are no joke. In the beginning of October, the shooter who opened fire at Umpqua Community College in Oregon and killed 10 people allegedly posted a warning to the online message board 4chan.

Football player Christian Pryor was arrested for posting a shooting threat on Yik Yak at Fresno State campus earlier this month.

Update, 2:44 p.m.

Washington College is still closed and students are to remain where they are, but the school is making sure everyone is fed.
Jacob Marberger is still considered a missing person.

Update, 11/17/15, 9:45 a.m.

After having students continue to shelter in place overnight, Washington College has announced that classes and activities will go on as scheduled today. There will be an increased police presence.

Update, 11/17/15, 11 a.m.

Washington College has announced they’re canceling classes for the day due to “new information received from law enforcement.” Students are told to return to dorms and anyone off-campus should remain there.
Although canceling classes and being stuck in the dorms another day totally sucks, I have to applaud WC for taking such precautions. The last thing we need is another tragedy from a campus shooting. As always, better safe than sorry.

Update, 11/18/15, 11 a.m.

For the third day, Washington College has canceled classes as Jacob Marberger remains missing. The decision to close was made yesterday.

This story is updating. Please refresh for new details.
[Story via]

Who Was Calling For Help On 'The Walking Dead'?
  • 10614935101348454