Amid the holidays that I passionately adore, there are some that rank higher than others. Halloween is one of my favorites. I love the autumnal weather, the unnecessary amounts of chocolate, and having one day to claim "my life is a masquerade" and not be greeted with WTF looks. I love it so much, in fact, that I have decided to write a poem.
Hooking up in college is an art. Hooking up in college during Halloween weekend is a true feat. And that's why we set up a do's and don'ts guide for your viewing pleasure. Someone's gotta look out for you, right? So sit down, take notes, and prepare for the worst most successful Halloween shenanigans yet.
• 8 non-sexy costumes that will make boys go weak in the knees. • 10 reasons not to drink Four Loko. • Are you ready for the Rally to Restore Sanity?? • PETA supports Lilo. Under one condition.... • We're loving these kickass lace-up booties. • Oh Will Ferrell. You crack us up.
• Important lessons in Lady Gaga costumery • Street art: these people have mad skillz • Dr. Oz wants us all to have more sex • How do I tighten up down there • If we had photoshop in real life • 5 under $50: Foldover boots • Jon Stewart interviews Obama
Since last week's letdown of an episode, it's time to come to terms with the fact that Jersey Shore is no more. At least until January. You might be asking yourself, "But, but, but how am I ever going to get my Jersey fix without my eight seven lovable guidos/guidettes entertaining me on Thursday nights?"
SELF Magazine would like to tell you that no, muffin tops and French Maids don’t really mesh. But they’ve got a little workout called the Witches Brew that’ll give you abs of steel by Halloween. As in this Halloween. As in October 31, 2010. As in three days from now. While you’re stirring away at that cauldron of false dreams, we’d like to offer a few goals that are more realistic to achieve in seventy-two hours.
The whiteboard outside the door, I’ve realized, is a classic college staple. It’s as college as 3 AM bedtimes, as shower shoes, as James Franco (fun fact: James Franco and I exchanged heys on campus last week). It’s soooooo college. Fortunately enough, the whiteboard outside my suite’s door right now reads this: “HALLOWEEK 2010: Let your inner Heidi Klum out...that chick’s a Halloweenoholic.”
Of the many things we college students love, the top three for most of us are burritos, cheap food and an excuse to dress up. Chipotle obviously got that memo because they're offering all of the above… and for a good cause, no less!
Halloween in college is a big deal. Major, really. You may have thought you hit your trick-or-treating peak in the 3rd grade when you wrapped yourself in tinfoil and went out as leftovers, but think again.
Halloween 2010 is finally here and we're looking forward to celebrating the only national college holiday that ends with me getting stabbed in the eye by an oversized fairy wing. While we're excited to see all the awesome creative costumes, we're also dreading seeing all the cliche and uninspired pop culture costumes.
Remember the fun days when your mom prepared disgusting looking food for your favorite friends? When you had to stick your hand into a box and feel something gross like slimy spaghetti? Just because you're in college doesn't mean the childish fun has to stop.
• I smell a Jake Gyllenhaal break up song in the near future. • Uh oh. Mel Gibson is angry. • The 8 most horrifying beauty trends....ever. • Pets in costumes. Heart melting. • 10 things that we know about Katy Perry/Russel Brand's wedding. • What does celebrity-inspired nail polish look like? Surprisingly cute!
It's getting down to the wire. Halloween is literally right around the corner and you want to look your best...without dropping $59.99 to be a Sexy Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle (really?!). Completely understandable. You're a college student.
There are a lot of perks to experiencing Halloween as a college student, that’s a given. But remember Halloween as a little kid? When you looked forward to more than the drinking games and the slutty sexy costumes?
We might be too old to go door-to-door and ask strangers for candy... but we're not too old to dress up as slutty versions of our favorite childhood fairy tales characters, animals, or public service workers, are we? Besides, if we're struggling to pay $49.99 for a "Sexy Bull Fighter" costume, dammit, we want to get the most bang for our buck!
• It's back to rehab for dear Lilo. • 8 tricks to help you suppress that appetite. • Were these people drunk when this happened? • Halloween according to the cast of Modern Family. • The many (fabulous ways) to wear a scarf. • Truth: I am deathly afraid of what this might look like.
I despise Halloween. No, scratch that. I love actual Halloween. I can spend the entire day watching Hocus Pocus on repeat and gnawing on candy corn pumpkins. But that all ended freshman year of college when Halloween went from a fun night out in a costume to a slutfest in a frat house. I was appalled by the slutty bumblebees, the slutty orangutans, the slutty crayon girls.
In the words of the immortal Mean Girls, "Halloween is the one night a year when girls can dress like a total slut and no other girls can say anything about it." It's a time honored Halloween tradition for girls to put on their best 'sexy' costume and go party, right? And costume companies have certainly raised the bar on options (Sexy Elmo and Sexy Hello Kitty, really?) but is this really a good idea or are we just promoting a sexist stereotype?
• Find out when (not how) to ask for it. • Meet Madonna's new boy man. • 7 reasons Halloween is better than Christmas. • Lilo hoping for more rehab? Things are looking up! • What's the best way to tell a guy it's your first time? • Text message flirting for beginners.
• Best Halloween prank ever! • 3 stylish looks for first dates • Things you do not want to find at your parent's house • Why does Elton John hate TV talent shows? • Someone REALLY thought this was a good idea • Suddenly political debates are looking real funny • Since when does Lady Gaga do normal things
• Here are 10 totally unsexy costume ideas. • Levi Johnston says such smart things. • How does Ryan Kwanten get that hot bod? • Become a better dresser - a step by step guide. • ABC Family gives 'Friday Night Lights' the axe. • So, how does the Mulberry for Target line stack up?
With Halloween looming close, it seems that most of the costumes available to us require some (or total) revealing of the leg. To achieve that toned look, try out these killer moves for some sleek quads, hammies and glutes. And there's no excuse not to - you don't even need to go to the gym to get your leg toning on.
• Biggest fashion mistakes that women make • Your fave celebs are getting excited about Halloween! • All time best movie break ups • Lilo's rehab parent's weekend won't be like college • Could you forgive a cheater? • Yale frat apologizes for being wildly inappro • Celebs without makeup (these pics never get old)
Everyone knows that the Halloween spirit isn’t just confined to October 31st – it’s more like an entire two-week span that culminates with a huge, costume-filled celebration. (Editor's Note: Two weeks? I've been planning my costume since last November!)That being said, the best place to celebrate the earlier part of the world’s scariest holiday is… on the couch.
• 3 places to meet guys in college • Halloween costumes you'll wear again • Why it's good to go to college far from home • The Rappin' Librarians (video) • Pay off your college debt now • 8 Brain Boosting Foods • Vote now for a national homecoming queen (and be eligible to win MONEY)
Take the cash you’d usually drop on a cheaply made, mass-produced look and shop for a stylish costume that will make you stand out and that you can incorporate into your wardrobe post-pumpkin season.
I’m probably not the only one, but this week practically landed me in the hospital. Diagnosis: Heartbreak. Courteney Cox and David Arquette. Christina Aguilera and Jordan Bratman. Perez Hilton and vicious gossip. Who didn’t break up!?
Group costumes are interactive, more creative than the insert Sexy in front of anything costume, (ex: sexy nurse, sexy teacher, sexy plumber, sexy firefighter, sexy scuba diver, sexy nun?), and ideal for a quality Facebook profile pic.
• Lauren Conrad speaks out against fashion mess ups • What it's like to sleep with a virgin • Make your own awesome Halloween costume • You may want to proofread your threatening note next time • Who should be the next Wonder Woman? • Puhleeasee...and we wonder why celebs feel entitled • How to wear cropped sweaters (and 6 cute choices!)
I’ve never been a big fan of theme parties. Just like perfectly matched outfits, to me they seem contrived, cliché, outdated. But college freshman seem to love the experience of a costume party – I too have to give props to the really creative ideas that people have come up with (although I can’t seem to recall any at the time; that’s how rare they are) but for the most part, the only theme parties that exist and thrive at college parties are characterized by sexism. With Halloween looming, this is an incredibly relevant issue.
Courtney Cox and David Arquette split. I cry. • A few signs your prof doesn't like you. • Brett Favre: let another sports/sex scandal begin! • Could this man be our next president?! • Willy Wonka gum about to become a reality?? ZOMG! • What's the best couple costume you've ever seen?
Please tell me I’m not the only one waiting for LiLo’s next crazy move! This week found me missing our drug-addled girl like whoa, especially since I wanted to be a Loca Lohan hot mess for Halloween. Can we please go back to happier times when she was posing with knives alongside Vanessa Minnillo?
My school is famous for our Halloween debauchery. Every year literally tens of thousands of members of the under-25 crowd dress up (or down) to parade along Del Playa Drive in varying levels of consciousness. Halloween is like the senior prom of college (four years in a row).
• 50 couple costume ideas for Halloween • What makes your defriend someone on Facebook • Just a really cool castle • Does sex get better as a relationship progresses? • Meet the new Jersey Shore gang • Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber are rivals?! • Dating tips in diagram form
Finally -- summer's over! It's time for sweaters, boots, Starbucks' signature fall drinks, and for those leaves to start falling. You could spend all fall hunched over your computer working about mid-terms, or you can get in touch with your seven year old self that took time to relish the changing leaf colors, the local pumpkin patches, and of course, the cooler weather. Here are five things that you probably enjoyed during your childhood that you can still enjoy this fall.
Halloween is just a few weeks away and it's that wonderful time of year where you put all your school work aside and brainstorm the best possible costumes. Will you go funny? Sexy? Scary? A crazy combination of all three that will either have you winning a costume contest or not allowed in any group photos all night?